I can see now how "having a baby" translated into "vacation" for my mom

3.02.2012

I know I am fixing to come off as all sorts of crazy when I admit this, but I'm assuming you're probably a new reader if you don't already think I'm crazy. And even then, it would only be a matter of time before you figured it out, so....

Here goes!

I always always ALWAYS leave the dirty dinner dishes for the morning. If you recall, my dishwasher is defunct and is now used as a fancy storage area for various pans that won't fit in my cabinets. This means that I must wash everything by hand. Not a big deal. I've gone without the convenience of a dishwasher before and I didn't die from it, so it's definitely doable. But because I am left to wash every plate, cup, pan, casserole dish, sippy cup, and utensil by hand, I am kind of over it by the end of the day. The last thing I want to do before bed is stand at the sink and wash more dishes. I realize that some people "don't sleep well" or some crap like that if they are aware of dirty dishes in the sink. For those people, I would suggest a healthy glass of wine (perhaps in a paper cup to cut down on the dishes?) to help forget about them. Their dirtiness really doesn't affect my sleep. But again, I am crazy, so there's that.

Most mornings I will get up with Sam, pull his highchair into the kitchen so we can chat, give him some cereal, and go to town on the dishes from the night before. Once the dishes are done, Steve gets home from PT and I make him his breakfast while he showers. This creates more dishes, yes, but the empty sink is well-equipped to handle them and I can tackle those few dishes after everyone is done with breakfast. Washing dishes in the morning sort of helps jumpstart me in being productive for the day if that makes any sense whatsoever.

But yesterday morning. Gracious. I had dishes from the night before, and then decided that in order to use up the blueberries that were getting ready to expire, I would make waffles for everyone. Of course, I have to use a different kind of mix for Sam's waffles so that they will be gluten-free, make a big batch of those to freeze for future breakfasts, and then get started on Steve's. Steve comes home from PT and informs me that he would like eggs. If looks could kill, y'all.... I guess my "look" gave off the vibe that he'd better force a friggin' waffle down as well because he graciously ate two. So after the waffle mess, I had to make eggs, and then make the rest of the batch of waffles to freeze. Then I looked around me and saw the war zone that had been created.


And maybe that doesn't look like a lot, but the sink was STACKED and I don't know how to take a panoramic picture with my camera, but believe me when I say that the dishes were EVERYWHERE.

(PS. Isn't the fire extinguisher a lovely design element in this room? It just screams that I don't know how to cook a thing without first lighting it on fire.)

Being that I have had practice with dishwashing in many arenas, I made quick work of those suckers and had the kitchen knocked out in fifteen minutes.


Ahh. Much better. Then I decided that I would make some fudge for a play/lunch date we were going to that afternoon, and that just created more dishes. Such is life.

No time to do those dishes just yet because there are diapers to stuff.


Luckily for me, I have a very enthusiastic helper that doesn't know a thing about stuffing diapers.


I do enjoy watching him while *I* stuff the diapers though.


Is it just me or did he turn into a toddler overnight?

I had to leave a note of caution for Steve, as another pregnant friend (due two weeks before me) and I are getting together for a playdate today and will need this fudge since we can no longer hang out with a bottle of wine.


Ok maybe we don't need ALL of that chocolatey goodness, but I've seen Steve around a bucket of fudge before. Without supervision, it can get a little crazy.

Am I the only one who has the "gift" of sleeping through the night with a boatload of dirty dishes downstairs? Do you think it's unreasonable that I eat at least half of the pan of fudge that I made? (The correct answer to this question is: No.) Why do babies turn into big kids so quickly?

26 comments :

  1. The only reason I have a problem with dirty dishes (or anything dirty in the house really) is that we live in a tiny house and if I have to get up in the middle of night (which I almost always do) I have to walk right past it. Even in the dark, I can see it. All that dirtiness mocking me. If I was upstairs and never had to be threatened with seeing it, I'd probably sleep much better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This is the only benefit I can see to having stairs in our house. I truly hate climbing them all day, but the separation is nice. ;)

      Delete
  2. I have this thing about not wanting to do dishes more than once a day. So yes I can go to bed with dirty dishes in the sink. Now that we have 5 people in the family eating meals I feel like I need to suck it up and do it twice a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh man I would like to go once a day, but I have a feeling that it would be a half-hour wash session if I went that long. SOME PEOPLE (cough cough STEVE cough cough) do not seem to be aware of how many cups they use in a day since they don't have to wash them and therefore make lots and lots of dirty dishes to scrub. ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness. :) You are too funny. I have no problem sleeping with dirty dishes, but they must be done the next day. :) There is nothing wrong with eating the fudge, especially because you are pregnant. And yes kids seem to grow over night! Lucas no longer looks like a toddler and Elizabeth no longer looks like a newborn and I swear they both looked different yesterday. It's crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have to do them immediately the next morning or I start getting itchy. And I swear I see pictures of newborns and then two days later they are holding their heads up and feeding themselves straight from the fridge. HOW TO STOP THIS?!

      Delete
  4. Yes he turned into a toddler overnight. Haha if dishes in the sink bothered me I would never sleep. Unreasonable NO. If i could answer the last question I would feel better well maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fudge is a decent trade off for wine. Certainly not an even exchange but decent none the less :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is nowhere NEAR an even exchange, but it takes the sting off a little bit. LOL

      Delete
  6. I sadly don't have that gift, but I also HATE washing dishes by hand. Our dishwasher was broken for 2 weeks and I almost went to all paper products because I couldnt handle it. I would have never made it as a pioneer.

    Side note: Have you ever read The Fierce Beagle? I think you and Erin would become best friends. You have a similar writing style and humor. Her link is on my side bar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh will definitely check that out! Thanks! :)

      I could not be a pioneer just for the fact that their little horse-drawn buggies did not have built-in air conditioning. THE SWEAT. We would all DROWN.

      Delete
  7. I grew up without a dishwasher. I finally use a dishwasher here in Texas after 24 years of my life washing dishes by hand. Lol. All I can say is, I wish I've had it before... It is so convenient. =) I have to prep my cloth diapers soon. Not looking forward to it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dishwashers ARE very convenient! I will be happy to have one again when we move (which is nowhere in our near future lol). Washing the "clean" cloth diapers is super simple! Please email me if you have any questions or concerns about it! (It beats washing the poopy ones.. haha)

      Delete
  8. Girl. This post encompasses so much of my household stress. I HATE dishes. I mean, gross. I could wear gloves I guess but still, I just hate it. But not so much that I'll actually DO them regularly. I leave them for my sailor to come home, but sometimes he's too "worn out" from JCAC class to do them, so they stay in the sink. And yes, I have a functioning dishwasher! I can sleep juuuuust fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might possibly hate loading and unloading the dishwasher MORE than actually washing dishes. RETARDED, I KNOW. But pulling something out that is still wet and has to be wrangled into an already full dish rack or dried with a towel just irritates me. (First-world problems here! So minute and stupid!)
      Luckily for me, the Army took care of my dishwasher woes and just killed it for me altogether. They so are thoughtful.

      Delete
  9. Babies turn into toddlers while you are sleeping. It happens. I am pretty sure I would be inconsolable if our dishwasher broke. You are a stronger woman than I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do we stop the baby-to-toddler transformation??? It is CRAZY.

      Delete
  10. Mine is only 4 1/2 months old and it feels like he is not a baby anymore...they grow up way too fast! But it is also fun to watch his grow and learn new things :) I wish I was good at making fudge, I can't do desserts, I don't know why!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the WORST at desserts, but this fudge only requires 3 ingredients and a microwave! I will email you the recipe. It's a good one to h\ave on hand! :)

      Delete
  11. I have no excuses. I have a dishwasher that works wonders. I have no children making dirty dish messes. My husband is deployed so no mess from him either. And, with him gone 1/2 of my meals are Lean Cuisines. And, I still go to bed with dirty dishes in the sink. Still! I think I crossed the line into lazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, I'm right there with ya. When Steve goes into the field, the house falls apart. I have no one to be accountable to! Who gives a flyin' fart if the dishes pile up? NOT ME. :)

      Delete
  12. Mmm fudge. I love the note, haha. And umm, I totally am that girl that cannot stand to leave mess or dirty dishes before bed. :( ha, it's the neat freak in me. I do, however, leave Riley's sippy cups soaking overnight usually. Does that count? Yah, probably not. Oh, to be more like you. Maybe I need more wine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The answer to most questions is "more wine" so I think you're definitely on the right track there. ;) lol

      Oh and if only I could borrow some of your neat and tidy tendencies!! My house would be very appreciative.

      Delete
  13. Uh if only you could see my kitchen.. bahaha. I have had dishes that I clean, then get dirty again and it's a never ending process. There is ALWAYS a stack.. I hate dishes. My dishwasher is still not working and I haven't called maintenance because I am embarrassed of the huge stack of dishes, but what is a girl to do?

    P.S. Love this post.. and your note. Made me LAUGH hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL That is so funny that you won't call the maintenance people til your dishes are done, but the dishes aren't getting done, so it's a never-ending cycle. LOL GOOD LUCK!

      Delete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs