So now I'll just tell people that I went to Paris over the long weekend like it was no big deal

2.19.2012

Despite the general feeling o' death that's been hanging over me lately, I have managed to knock a couple more things off of my 101 in 1,001 list.

I'm sure that in my last post, I came off as all kinds of hating Valentine's Day, but I really don't. I have no problems whatsoever with a day that revolves around LOVE and showing love and remembering why you first fell in love, yadda yadda. But I also don't think that we should focus all of our love efforts toward that one (extremely over-commercialized) day. I try (key word) to do things for Steve every day to let him know that I love him.

But since I didn't really DO anything on Valentine's Day (thanks to feeling like I'd been hit by a truck), I decided that I would surprise him with a special, candlelit dinner. Number 72, consider yourself DONE.
So I hit up the Valentine's Day sale section at Target, got a few decorations and some candles and went about setting up our special dinner. I made spaghetti and a chocolate chip pie and got word around 4:30 that he would be leaving work at 5. Well, 5pm came and went. So did 6. So did 7. I may or may not have gotten my panties in a twist over this stupid delay and called my mama to vent it all out. He finally got home around 8 and we had our dinner then. He was still surprised and loved it, and that was really all that I was going for (although eating dinner before our bedtime still ranks pretty high on my list of daily priorities). I took one whole picture before my camera up and died on me.


Notice the lovely plastic cups. We are super classy. I may have also possibly been in my pajamas already during our special candlelit dinner (because it was BEDTIME HELLO) and Steve may have possibly eaten dinner in his underwear and half of his uniform (because HURRY UP DINNER'S GETTING COLD).

Overall, it was a nice way to unwind after a long (although technically short- ha) week.

Earlier that morning, I decided to bite the bullet and make some goodies for Soldier Appreciation Day. I mean, I appreciate the soldiers a lot, even if people can't give me more than a day's notice on making goodies for them. I only made brownie bites for the soldiers, but I stuck an extra treat in Steve's bag and put it in his truck since he wasn't at the motorpool when I dropped off the baked goods.


Normally, I would go for some fancier packaging, but when I am sick and only have a day's notice, you get a ziploc bag with some "personalization" on it. Lovely!

Later on in the (same) day, I got Sam another doctor's appointment. Since finishing his antibiotic for his ear infection(s), he had developed a wet, nasty cough as well as a super-disgusting snotty nose. That was in addition to grabbing at his ears. So. We go to the doc's office and see a NP since our usual doc has the day off. She valiantly puts up with his screaming while getting his pulse taken (ON HIS FOOT for the LOVE) and then it takes three people to physically restrain him while the NP tries to check his ears. I had the pleasure of holding his head, most likely because I am the most deserving of eardrum damage since he is my kid and all. She confirms that he has two RAGING ear infections and apparently that last antibiotic didn't do squat. Awesome. After checking out another (!) two rashes on his hiney, we leave the sweltering office with two new prescriptions and a lot of sweaty clothes. Yes, it was then that I decided that checking out the Valentine's clearance at Target would be a grand idea. And it was. No regrets!

That day was also the candlelit dinner day, and I realize now that I basically told the whole day backwards, or at least in a really funky order. Oh well. You get the gist of it right? (The gist of it being: I NEED WINE. LOTS OF WINE.)

Steve has a 4-day weekend this weekend and we wanted to take full advantage of it, not just putter around ol' Clarksville and waste time (although Steve DID mention something about going to Target, and I was thisclose to taking him up on that offer). Instead, we decided that yesterday, we would go and see Paris, Tennessee, with our own eyes.

The drive there was quite interesting. I love driving through little towns and wondering where on earth the people there do their grocery shopping and if that's their only gas station and seeing how cute the little downtowns are. We arrived in Paris and could NOT locate the Eiffel Tower! You would think it would be stuck in the middle of downtown. Instead, this courthouse was. I guess that is probably more useful than an Eiffel Tower replica. But still.


Charming, no?
The entire downtown area was so cute and we stopped in a sweet little store to ask directions to the Eiffel Tower.




After receiving directions that involved no street names whatsoever ("You go down this road here until you get to the Sonic. Then you go left. And then you go right. Don't go too far past the Lowe's.") We eventually found it, even as directionally-challenged as we are.



There was a nice little park and recreation area surrounding this near-life-size replica of the Eiffel Tower, and Sam was content, once again, to walk around its perimeter, surveying the playset and practicing walking on woodchips. I am hoping that one day, possibly in the close-ish future, Sam might gain the courage to actually play on the playground.

While Paris wasn't exactly what I was expecting, I thought it was a very charming town and we enjoyed our Saturday trip to somewhere new.

16 comments :

  1. Ok please tell me where you get the energy for days like that?!

    Glad y'all had a good day out! Sammy is too cute walking and somehow I have missed this before or my pregnancy brain is in full gear right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pregnancy brain might have actually forgotten to document that he started walking!! LOL

      The only real incentive I have for busy days like that is that I can sleep like a log at night- muy importante now that I have magically turned into a light sleeper!! :)

      Delete
  2. Ah man! I know exactly how you feel. I would have been soo pissed
    If I planned something super special that got cold after hours of not hearing from him- can you tell that has happened to me on more than one occasion. Nonetheless, it looks very sweet! The last picture
    Is sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that your dinner plans were MUCH more elaborate than my little spaghetti dinner!! LOL I've seen the parties you throw, lady! ;)

      Delete
  3. Okay that looks like a lot of fun! We use to do more day trips like that but not so much anymore. I miss it. I hope Sam is feeling totally better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He ACTS like he feels 100%, but then he starts sputtering and coughing and it's just gross. lol

      Delete
  4. Fun! I look forward to when we can go on little adventures on the weekends. We used to visit various towns in AK and GA on the weekends when we lived at those places. Never been to Paris, though! I hope the sickies leave your house ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Now that Sam's nap schedule is a little more reliable, we feel braver in going out and doing things. There isn't much to do in this town, so we try to enjoy going to new places! ;)

      Delete
  5. Many meals are eaten here (our house) in boxers and an ACU t shirt. Unfortunately, many women here (the Ft Hood area) find that boxers and ACU t shirts are a dandy outfit for commissary trips and doctor visits. I wanted to differentiate between the two heres I referenced. Enjoy your spur of the moment trips now- We are so stinking boring with two kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg I have got to say that I've never seen people here go OUT like that, but it wouldn't surprise me too terribly much. lol Definitely appropriate attire for hanging out inside the house, but not so much for errands... lol

      Delete
  6. Yay for walking Sam! Sounds like a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I'm starting to realize that I didn't document his walking on this here blawg and I feel bad about that- will definitely do it for his 18-mo baby book entry on here! lol

      Delete
  7. Awesome! I love all the pics. It looks like a fun day in Paris! :) And your dinner totally rocked. Way to go! I can't wait for Aaron to come home so I can do something sweet like that for him too. You're such a good wife! I hope Sam feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait to "steal" some of your ideas of things you do for your husband once he gets home, and pass them off as my own for Steve. LOL You already have such great party and baking ideas and I'm sure you do not slack in the husband-spoiling department either!! :)

      Delete
  8. your stories crack me up! love the picks of Steve and sam, too cute. Glad yall got away for a day. But man, poor baby with the ear infections. Hopefully this round of meds work better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping this medicine works too! I can't imagine there are too many more "strong" AND yummy medications left for us to try after this!

      Delete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs