Maybe I should mention this child that's taking up valuable real estate in my abdominopelvic cavity

2.11.2012

My brain is in a funk. And I'm not quite sure what to blame it on- pregnancy? Steve's field training? this stupid cold? a lack of chocolate? Ok, you caught me. There has been no lack of chocolate. Not since I rediscovered the peanut-butter chocolate Dove candies that Sam sent me for Christmas. (Sam, they are totally delicious and I cannot eat any less than four pieces at a time. My hips are starting to give you the evil eye. Second Baby says "thanks" though.)

There seems to be a lot going on with Steve's job right now, and that's kinda the only thing on my mind. But I don't wanna write about it. I can't write about it. So I'm left wondering what to write about. Because I gotta write about SOMETHING. I always feel better when I write something. But topics are hard to come by in this clunky gray matter of mine. Should I discuss: the injuries Sam has incurred since Steve's training began? The number of times I've eaten Cheerios for dinner these past few weeks? How ridiculous these Hypnobabies tracks sound to me the second time around? How few excuses we have to leave the house these days? The reality that since I got new yoga pants last weekend, I have yet to wear any other pants?


He is always so encouraging of the things I do. And he isn't hard on the eyes either, hm?

Obviously my brain is really hitting a blah note right now.

I'll just go ahead and update you on Second Baby. I have not been giving her/him the spotlight s/he deserves.

Let's see, I am still unaware of the sex of this baby. And nope, this is not a point of stress for me. Got the gender-neutral baby setup all under control and ready.

I am now 34 weeks along. My doctor recently asked me if I was ready to meet my baby soon and I told her that I was nowhere near ready yet. I told her that I was pregnant with my son for at least two years, and I don't think I've been pregnant with this child but five weeks. She looked at me and said that NO ONE says that. EVERYONE is ready to get the baby out, preferably early. I told her that I will have none of that. I will CHERISH my last six weeks of (mostly) sleeping straight through the night and I have no desire to meet this child any earlier than my due date. I will literally have ugly things to say to the person that calculated my due date if this baby comes any earlier than March 25. I'll be happy when you arrive kiddo, but I am really going to miss my sleep.

I refuse to reveal how much weight I have gained. I'm really bad at math anyway and the numbers to subtract from are really high, and how SAD is it when you need calculators to figure that sort of thing out? I am happier being ignorant on the matter.

I actually had a few contractions the other day. Sam and I were visiting a friend and her child at their house about a mile or so away. We lost track of time and I looked at the clock and suddenly realized that I needed to get home to feed Sam dinner. So I booked it back home, anxious to get this kid to bed on time. Apparently Second Baby has an aversion to exercise because s/he was all, "Slow it down! Don't make me come out to remind you!" I never had contractions with Sam until it was Go-Time, so it was really weird for me. I didn't know whether I should keep walking or sit down on the side of the road. I ended up getting home and everything settled down. But this does not provide much incentive for me to power-walk or do any other sort of strenuous exercise outside of hauling the small person up and down the stairs. Side note: I really hate stairs. And I have no friggin' clue how I'm going to work out the logistics of getting two tiny people up and down them all day long. Sam does not seem at all interested in learning to climb (he has taken a tumble or two down a couple of stairs and developed a healthy fear of climbing too high) and getting him to go DOWN the stairs seems downright laughable. I have a feeling that I need to bust out that Moby wrap and learn how to tie a good knot.

So, my question for you mamas with more than one child: What should I be doing during these last few weeks that will soon become much harder (or potentially impossible) with two children? I mean, besides sleeping. I am obviously on top of the sleep around here. And eating all of the chocolate.

16 comments :

  1. Your welcome Second Baby! And lets just say that your hips are preparing for child birth rather than a result of chocolate! I have no ideas on the logistics of the steps for you since Wil loves to climb them which will be wonderful since I wont be allowed to carry him (my heart breaks). I want a moby wrap for second munchkin :)

    I would say some freezer meals (Sammy friendly possibly), sleep, extra loving Sam & Steve when he gets home ummm I don't know since I'm still a single kid house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my Moby wrap off craigslist- I know you can find one!! :)

      Delete
  2. Whenever I had the next child I went through a tiny period of mourning what we had before. It is really hard to explain but you will know what I mean when it happens. This is a poem that was shared with me that I try to share with friends having a 2nd baby...everything in it is so true...

    As I hold your 2-year-old hand, basking in the glow of our magical
    relationship, I suddenly feel a kick from within, as if to remind me that
    our time alone is limited.
    And I wonder: How could I ever love another child as I love you?

    Then she is born, and I watch you.
    I watch the pain you feel at having to share me,
    as you've never shared me before.
    I hear you telling me in your own way,
    "Please love only me."
    And I hear myself telling you in mine,
    "I can't," knowing, in fact, that I never can again.
    You cry. I cry with you.
    I almost see our new baby as an intruder
    on the precious relationship we once shared.
    A relationship we can never quite have again.
    But then, barely noticing, I find myself attached to that new being, and
    feeling almost guilty.
    I'm afraid to let you see me enjoying her.
    -- as though I am betraying you.
    But then I notice your resentment change,
    first to curiosity, then to protectiveness,
    finally to genuine affection.
    More days pass, and we are settling into a new
    routine.

    The memory of days with just the two of us is fading fast.
    But something else is replacing those wonderful times we shared, just we
    two.
    There are new times -- only now, we are three.
    I watch the love between you grow, the way you look at each other, touch
    each other.
    I watch how she adores you -- as I have for so long.
    I see how excited you are by each of her new accomplishments.
    And I begin to realize that I haven't taken something from you, I've given
    something to you.
    I notice that I am no longer afraid to share my love openly with both of
    you.
    I find that my love for each of you is as different as you are, but equally
    strong.

    And my question is finally answered,
    to my amazement..
    Yes, I can love another child as much as I love you-- only differently.
    And although I realize that you may have to share my time, I now know you'll
    never share my love.
    There's enough of that for both of you
    -- you each have your own supply.
    I love you -- both and I thank you both for blessing my life.

    ~author unknown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just made my hormonal self cry. And I will definitely be sure to enjoy my last few weeks with my boy. :) Thank you.

      Delete
    2. You know I'm so glad you shared this Julie! I definitely teared up Jenn. I needed this!

      Delete
    3. I was just fixin' to text you to look at this. Totally thought of you while I was reading it. :)

      Delete
  3. Yes- spend time with that boy of yours! I can't even explain the full range of emotions in the day and a half window in which Madden was born and Justin came home- but one of them was being so sad that Quinn wasn't my only sweet boy anymore. We spent all that time, just us two, and then we immediately went to a family of four. He adjusted fine and loves his brother but I was sad that it was the end of an era!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is still so weird for me to think about another ACTUAL PERSON joining our family. I don't think it will hit me fully until s/he is here. In the mean time though, I will definitely be soaking up my Sam! :)

      Delete
  4. I have to agree with the other women, enjoy the time with your little guy! I also noticed going places got to be a lot harder when the second one was born. I sometimes miss the days of just putting Lucas in the car and just going some where, now I have the diaper bag, bottles and such.
    Also have you tried having Sam go down the stairs on his bottom? My parents taught me to go down our stairs that way.
    Julie, that is an amazing poem that completly captures the feelings I had when the second one was born. It made me tear up!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes I think the taking Sam out with me is a hassle, but then I have to laugh at myself because soon I will be adding a 500lb car seat to the mix and that is bound to make things a little harder! Lol

      Delete
  5. O so many things to discuss:
    1. Lets start with my did it take so long for us to be blog friends? Seriously girlfriend, I feel you pain, all of it.
    2. Email me about Steve if you want to vent about it. If not, know that Im praying for yall. I know this is a hard time adn I cant imagine what else you are dealing with.
    3. Soak up your time with Sam. I made an actual bucket list (go to the zoo, have choclate chip pankcakes, mame lots of videos, cuddle, cuddle, cuddle. When that new baby comes, everything about Sam that was baby will suddenly disappear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch out girl! You'll probably get an email at nap time today!!

      Love the bucket list idea. I need to make one so that I'll make it a point to do lots of specific things with just him. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Girl you are so funny! You know, I have five ... my advice, just don't worry so much. Just take each day as it comes. Plan, yes, but anticipate as little as possible. It'll all work out just fine. And I know I owe you an return email ... gotta get on that!! Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My planning comes from my anticipating!!! It's a sickness!! Ahhhh!!!

      Thanks for the advice. I will try to learn from those that have been through this many more times than I have!!! ;)

      Delete
  7. I'm quite excited about Baby #2. I think it's a boy. (Note: I have absolutely nothing that I'm basing this off of.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Besides me, I think you are the first person to say that. I'm kinda rootin' for a boy- aren't they the CUTEST?? ;)

      Delete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs