Once again, I need your assistance

2.20.2012

I think it's safe to say that all of you out there, collectively, wear pants with an elastic band fewer times in a month than I do in a week. That is to say, you are all more fashion-forward than me. So I need your help. PLEASE.
I finally bought a dress for the military ball that's coming up (in, ya know, 2.5ish weeks), and while we're still not 100% sure that we're even going, I need to be prepared in the off-chance that we do go.

This is the dress I bought.



I know. Let's all be jealous at how un-pregnant this little twig looks modeling a "maternity" dress. Perhaps dreams of possibly looking so skinny whilst harboring a baby in my chub-riddled midsection might have sold me on this particular dress. It mentioned something about being dry-clean only, which to me, means "fancy fabric." I possibly own two things that come with such a tag, and they are worn about as often as you think I wear them. (Ahem. Not that much.)

But once I received the dress in the mail, it kind of squeals, "I'm a maxi-dress from Old Navy!" (Do not tell me that you saw this coming.) I mean, I can totally get away with wearing it since it's floor-length and no one will be actively grabbing the fabric and asking me what it's made of (and if they do, I will absolutely tell them to "quit touching my baby!" and huff off like a crazy person, which should stop the touching altogether).

My question for you lovely fashionistas is this: hair? shoes? necklace? I gotta dress up this covert maxi-dress and make it look "formal." I obviously plan on wearing some sort of flats.. possibly my Old Navy sandals (oh the irony) that look identical to this? (WITH A PEDICURE FOR SURE)

I am not one of those girls that has amassed some super-spectacular shoe collection from my single days, so this falls under my "fancy shoe" category. Holler if I am incorrect in this categorization.

I am almost completely decided that I will look like I put some time and effort into this "look" if I do my hair up. Or rather, someone else will do my hair up, because it took me visiting a "hair salon" (I use those words loosely) approximately two weeks after previously having my hair cut/mangled/chopped to be told that my hair on the back of my head had basically been mutilated. My fashion-forward husband was oblivious to this travesty as well, so at least he wasn't embarrassed to be seen with me. HOWEVER. I have never had a good experience with a hair dresser (and I mean NEVER) and I think it has something to do with my curly hair. Apparently curly hair isn't considered need-to-know-material in beauty school since the majority of America has been bestowed with straight, manageable locks. So I will need to bring in a life-size poster with some picture plastered on it so that the person attempting to do my hair has an idea of what I would prefer to look like. Please help me choose. Or suggest something different altogether if I am destined to be embarrassed by any or all of these looks.





I especially like her necklace in the last picture. That would be the final piece of this here puzzle- finding a nice, chunky piece of jewelry to make my cheap shoes and dress look, well, less cheap.



Or do I need something simpler and less chunky?


THE DECISIONS. I am ill-equipped to make them.

18 comments :

  1. I am also ill-equipped. Last time I had to dress up for a ball and was pregnant (b/c that happened sooo many times ;) ) I chose poorly. The dress was lovely, but the shoes nearly caused me to topple over in exhaustion. Seriously, I almost passed out. Have I told you this story? Anyway, the post commander's wife saved the day and I've never been more embarrassed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were my guiding light in choosing the flat sandals! I kinda suck at walking in heels anyway, so this pregnancy gig is the perfect excuse to NOT wear them! lol

      Delete
  2. I think you're definitely on the right track with a chunky, blingy necklace. I say go for matching bracelet, and do understated or no earrings. Or have your hair pulled back covering your ears, if you can deal with that.

    For the "do", I think something on the looser side is definitely best, and something that gets most of your hair up off your back. I am a big fan of the loose chignon at the nape of the neck. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will definitely post pictures of the final product if we end up going!

      Delete
  3. Those shoes should work great :) I love the first hairstyle but I have a feeling the second will work better with your hair which I love that one too. Go with the chunky necklace I think because of the ruffled neckline it will work best compared to competing with the ruffles. Just my opinion though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was liking the chunky necklace best too. :) The first one I found online (similar to the one above) was $145. SERIOUSLY?! The one above is $34, which is way more within reason. LOL

      Delete
  4. 1) You are a few weeks shy of giving birth, jersey material is completely acceptable for a formal event.
    2) See above but insert {flat, sandel-y things}
    3) I like the second hair do
    4) I say go chunky. The necklace in my picture with the maxi skirt is from Francesa's, they have some amazingly affordable jewelry. Assuming there isnt one at Campbell, look online (www.francesascollections.com). They have great big earrings too if you'd rather go that route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that link! Of course there isn't a Francesca's around here (PSH!) but I've been to one before and my sister tends to find all sorts of wonderful things there. Had NO idea they had a store online. I'm clearly living in 1994 and need to maybe, uh, google stuff like that every once in a while? LOL Thanks girl!

      Delete
  5. I am so not good with fashion at all but I really do like that dress. I love all the hair styles so I am no good for you there...lol I think I like the last necklace best though. Sorry I am just no help at all...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is helpful to me to hear that you like the stuff I picked out! LOL Beats hearing, "Uh, NONE of that looks decent. Start from scratch." haha Will keep you informed about the final product if we go! :)

      Delete
  6. I have terrible hair. The worst. I have no advice for the ball but I figured you'd enjoy knowing not everyone out there has good hair. Also- youll look better than all of the, ahem, "ladies" that come as dates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might be my favorite part of the military balls- the people watching. At least this time I won't be drunk and talking about them so loudly that they hear me...

      Delete
  7. I think that dress is really pretty- even if it doesn't look "dry clean only." The sandals are really cute, and perfectly acceptable for a pregnant lady! I personally like the 3rd hairstyle and the chunky necklace. I bet you will look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will definitely post some follow-up photos if we go! :)

      Delete
  8. I vote chunky necklace- but maybe my vote doesn't count since I'm a brand new reader :) Also, I think the first hair style would go best with the dress & some sort of chunky earrings to dress it all up. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! No, I accept any and all advice when it comes to fashion! Everyone seems to know much more than me!! ;)

      Delete
  9. AH! So glad you found something. I know I am totally late here. Blame the hubs. (I am currently trying to catch up at work.. where I PRETEND to be busy!) I say yes to chunky necklace. Yes to flats. I personally LOVE the first hairstyle. As for earrings (are your ears pierced?) I'd wear some simple pearl earrings or something. Definitely think you are on the right track! Can't wait to see pictures though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got the chunky necklace, am definitely wearing the flats, and I have a simple pair of pearl earrings that I was planning on wearing too! :) Great minds, I tell you. Hope R&R is going GREAT! :)

      Delete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs