I'm warning you now that this post mentions poop way more than once, so I wouldn't recommend eating anything while you're reading this.

2.07.2012

I'm still here! Sammy was so generous as to share his little sickness with me, and we are just counting down the days until Steve's training ends.

My saint of a mother came up this past weekend and did many saintly things. The most impressive was scooping my son's poop out of the tub WITH HER BARE HANDS. This sets a precedent for mothering that I'm not sure I can ever (or want to) live up to. And yes, this was right after I told her that Sam had never pooped in the tub.
The night I told her that he had never peed on me before his bath was the night he decided to go all super-soaker on my pants.
And after telling her that he loves peas, he immediately decided that it was the most vile food ever planted on this earth.

My child is out to make me a huge liar apparently.

But it was not all bad! (Well, not for me at least. I can't speak for my mom.) Steve got to come home for 36 hours for a Superbowl DONSA. (I will not even go into how I feel about this as it would be a lot of all-caps and symbols that might give you the impression that I'm screaming at you, when in reality, I just want to scream at the command at this godforsaken post.) So! He came home. And then 20 minutes later, he left again. Well, it felt like 20 minutes. Such a tease. We DID, however, get to go on a date. My mom graciously offered to watch the whiner while we went out on Sunday to run errands. (Oh the joy of running errands without time constraints! and diapers to check! and sippy cup levels to worry about! and nap schedules to work around! and buckling the resistant small person into his carseat! It was pure HEAVEN.)

It was so nice just hanging out with Steve. I LOVE MY HUSBAND. Being alone with him makes me totally remember why I married this handsome hunk o' man. We talked, laughed, browsed, people-watched, shared a pretzel, saw a movie, made jokes, attempted to figure out the future (but that proved to be entirely too much thinking for a weekend), had dinner OUT, commented on how weird it felt to be out of the house past dark, looked around in a panic whenever we heard someone else's kid cry, talked about Sam, listened to music, high-fived after Steve scored a major deal (at Babies R Us- OMG we are such LOSERS), and then yawned when we realized it was almost 8pm. We caught Sam still up (again, Saint Mama working miracles right before our eyes, as he usually goes to bed at 6:30), said goodnight to him, and caught the last couple minutes of the Superbowl. Then we passed out cold because we were worn out from all of our freedom.

I can't say enough awesome things about my mom. I know, I know, she's my mom and I'm probably a thousand percent biased, but she's just so helpful! And my kid's incessant whining doesn't seem to phase her! And she even wanted to learn how to wash the diapers! And she let me go to the commissary alone! And she brought chocolate gooey bars! And did I mention that she pulled Sam's turdlets out of the bathtub WITH HER BARE HANDS?! <sigh> It was sad to watch her go. And I feel all kinds of awful because I didn't take a single picture while she was here. (Sorry Mama!)

So that's where we've been the past few days. We're on the road to recovery (hopefully) with this ear infection, snot-nosed, chest congestion crap, and if I didn't have to pee every 0.8 seconds (I'm now 33+ weeks! Someone hold me), we might be able to go somewhere or do something (although we will need to venture out soon for more toilet paper and tissues). But for now, we are hanging out at home, watching our neighbors move out. Great entertainment with the movers going in and out of the house, the big truck backing into the cul-de-sac, and their little dog losing his ever-lovin' mind in the backyard at all of the activity. We've got a playdate this afternoon to take a walk and play on the playground and hit up the shoppette for a 69 cent fountain drink during "happy hour." So obviously, life is fabulous.

17 comments :

  1. Glad you had a great time with Momma! Mine comes in 3 weeks and I cant wait!! Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! This is what I have to look forward to!!! Poop in my tub! Lol...I need a few more zen moments I've decided, after reading this :) Yay for momma saving the day and allowing for a night out on the town! Feel better!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poop in the tub, on your hands, squished on your clothes- oh someone else's poop is totally fixin' to be your reality. ;) But it's not all that bad. I just wouldn't go after it with my bare hands if I didn't have to. And then she bleached the tub for me too. Talk about spoiled, huh? Why can't I get her to LIVE with me full-time???? Whyyyyyy??? ;)

      Delete
  3. Mothers are the BEST! I know I wouldn't know what to do without mine. Glad you were also able to see your husband, even if only for a short bit. Hope you all feel better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn! We are workin' on making that happen! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, it will be baby time soon! Sounds like a fabulous time with your mama in town. I LOVE when my mom comes, too. Oh, and my littlest pooped in the bathtub last night, and my mom was not here to scoop it out with her bare hands, which she probably would have done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So is the poop still there? Do you just wait til your mom comes to fix the pooped-tub situation? Do you glove up and handle it yourself? How much bleach does it take to make that tub usable again? These are new waters for me. HELP.

      ;)

      Delete
  5. I love that picture of Sam, so cute! I love having my Mom around as well...they are so great when you need to hand the screaming baby off for a few mins, hours, etc. Glad you had some fun time alone with your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes those mamas know just what to do and when! And the rare date-night makes us appreciate them that much more, I think! :)

      Delete
  6. Awe man! Seems like everyone is sick!! I hope y'all feel better soon! And I am SUPER glad to hear that you are surviving. :) Mom's ALWAYS know how to make a situation 100% better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I only wished Sam enjoyed napping more. Then we would be SET. :)

      Delete
  7. Wow your mom is saint! Sounds like y'all enjoyed the time together. Oh i cant believe you're 33+ weeks! So exciting and nerve racking I'm sure. Feel better soon! MISS YOU!

    Sorry sscatter brained lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is truly freaking me out sometimes, for sure! I miss you too!!

      Delete
  8. I love when my mom comes to town and works her magic, too. It just doesn't happen enough, though b/c we live too far away. I really hope your house is feeling much better now. Being sick and trying to take care of a child (while pregnant) is for the birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that I feel much better when I'm DOING something. Pre-mom me would have thought the opposite- stay in bed all day, rest, etc. But if I try to do that, things seem to be worse. Getting out and walking/talking/socializing (from a distance lol) are really helping!

      Obviously I still waste naptime on the couch though, and then kick myself for not taking a NAP while he was sleeping... when will I learn??

      Delete
  9. Hi! New reader here.

    Arent moms the best?! Im so glad you had some help and alone time with your hubby. Hope your little one is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs