Here's a load of crazy

1.19.2012

Steve's job lately has been... well it just wasn't what I envisioned when I thought about being married to the Army a soldier in the Army. I guess I pictured what I had grown up seeing (since I grew up in an Army town): early mornings of PT, dads getting off of work at a very reasonable daylight hour, wives doing their grocery shopping at the commissary, and loads of hot Army guys wandering about in their smokin'-hot uniforms. Present Jenn can look back at Past Jenn and smirk because, oh Past Jenn, you are so stupid. It is not like that at all.

He goes to PT at 4:30am and wakes up not only you (you have turned into quite the light sleeper with this pregnancy), but the BAYBEE as well, and that puts a bit of a damper on your whole day, waking up at 4:30 and all. No more grand visions of being that careless housewife that sleeps in til 8 when he gets back home. Then once you get the screaming child out of bed and fight him over the poopy diaper that he does not want to relinquish control over, you go downstairs to find that, indeed, your dreams did not materialize while you were sleeping; your dishwasher is still not usable and those dishwashing fairies have still not located your house. Something about moving five times in two years makes you harder to keep track of. So you try pacifying the tiny person with milk and whatever kitchen "toys" he would like to play with. Then your dashing husband waltzes in... and cannot believe that you didn't remember that this is command maintenance day! Come on! He's gotta shower and leave and he really needs to eat breakfast!

Hurry to make big person and little person breakfast. Make yourself coffee because you know it is necessary to function today. Get caught up in breakfast and dishes and forget about coffee. Reheat it 67 times. Take a total of four sips. Finally dump it because it is almost lunch time and it probably tastes like leaded gasoline by now anyways.

Husband (who is considerably less dashing after recounting what your tuna casserole "did to him" this morning) leaves for work. Says it will be another late night. You roll your eyes because this sounds like a cop-out to you. He knows the small person turns into some possessed demon in the afternoon hours, and you're betting that work is more fun. They probably have parties there. With cupcakes. And Coke. And they probably laugh about their wives, sitting at home with the whiny children, and think to themselves how lucky they are to avoid the witching hour yet again.

You go about your day and do chores and laundry and change diapers and fix sippy cups and play cars and read books. Just when you are getting ready for the most important (and sometimes only!) nap of the day, you get a text or call that the husband will not be able to come home for lunch. Something came up last minute. Gotta work straight through. Can you bring him something?

Of course! Baby is screaming, so ready to go to sleep, but you plop him on the floor and try to make dish soap look like an interesting toy while you slap together some sandwiches and fruit and chips and fill up a water bottle. Fight the little person into his carseat, again try to pacify him with milk. And Jason Aldean. Such a love-hate relationship you have with Jason Aldean.

You get to work. You text husband that you are here. He texts back, "Be out in a minute." Ten minutes tick by. Angry, sleepy child in the backseat is not happy about this delay. You do your best to play peekaboo and sing silly songs and then kick yourself for not stocking your car with more toys. Another text: "Five more minutes." GAH you cannot keep this up much longer. He finally comes out, runs to the car, grabs his lunch, gives you a quick kiss, tells you that they're super busy and he's gotta get back in there (they're probably playing Yahtzee!), and runs back inside. You speed home (at 25mph) and practically launch the baby into his crib. Good NIGHT, I hope you sleep at least four hours.

Get to work cleaning up the destruction left in the wake of maniacal baby, fold the clothes, swap out laundry, feed the dogs, check to see if you remembered to defrost anything for dinner. You did not. Damn. Pull out some frozen chicken and hope that your thaw-out-vibes help the process go a little faster.

Angry baby-child wakes up. You force-feed him lunch because he's being a picky brat. You go over in your head all of the things you'd like to say your (less and less dashing) husband about how he REALLY needs to keep it down in the morning because 4:30am wake-ups don't make ANYONE happy and look who's gotta pay the price (ME), and *&@#^&$#&*@!@&^%!!!

Clean up the baby, clean up lunch, run some errands, get home to make dinner. A miracle has occurred and the chicken is ready to cook. You silently thank God and apologize for your previous outbursts. The small person is not excited about your paying more attention to dinner than you are to him. More tantrums. Feed the baby while dinner cooks. More playtime, although this time you are required to play too because it is just too much for him to handle on his own. Husband sends vague text message about how much work there still is to do. Gotta meet with so-and-so and go over the such-and-such and it can't wait til tomorrow. Gotta get it done tonight. I ask if tonight is a bath night and cross all of my fingers and toes that it's not. He texts back. It is. Damn. Schlep the super-whiny person upstairs. Another diaper struggle ensues. You win. Once he is naked, he's happy. He plays happily in the tub. Then he stands up and pees in the tub. Strongly opposes getting out (because sitting in filthy bathwater and urine is desirable apparently). You brush his teeth and lotion him up, squeeze him into his pajamas and realize that he has tossed all of his pacifiers between the wall and his crib. You realize that your short, fat arms will not fit in that tiny space. You move the entire crib out from the wall with your superhuman pregnancy strength and the small person is pissed that you are taking so long in locating his sucking device. Find approximately 36 pacifiers against the wall. Blow one off and hand it to him. Crank up the mobile and bolt out the door.

You have the chicken timed to come out of the oven just when husband said he would get home. Once you get downstairs though, you find that you have a text saying that it will be at least an hour from when he last said he would get home. Curse the Army, curse your husband, and curse yourself for even bothering to cook dinner.

Husband gets home. The rational side of your brain is SCREAMING at you that his being late is not his fault (unless they really are having fun Yahtzee parties over there) and you tell yourself to just be nice. Let it go. But you cannot. You have been strapped with this fussy mini-monster all day and reheating a dinner that was perfectly acceptable an hour ago just makes you MAD. So you end up giving him some modified version of the silent treatment (a la moody 16-year-old) and ask about his day. You then unleash all sorts of profanities against the people responsible for keeping him there so long and offer stupid suggestions about what he should say to them the next time they ask for something. ("Oh tell him to shove it up his...") This is obviously not helpful but it sort of makes you feel better.

You realize that you should really be on the same team as your husband and wish that you had someONE to target your anger at. Dashing husband does not deserve it. He is doing the best he can whilst working for a load of idiots. Whiny baby does not deserve it (although would it KILL him to take a second nap in the afternoon?). Who deserves it??? You have GOT to unleash this anger somewhere, at someONE, but can't figure out who exactly deserves the crazy you're ready to dish out.

So. Who wants to go ahead and bet that I'll be checked into a mental hospital by the time the plane takes off for the deployment? Any takers?

16 comments :

  1. Wow. Can I just say even with all the bumps you are doing much better than I am my dishwasher is functional yet there more dirty dishes than I care to think about... I have NO motivation to clean... I sometimes usethe tvto stop tantums. So you are doing just fine! :) oh and I could keep going... ex haven't blogged in over aweek... ok probably 2....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sam. As I type this there is laundry surrounding me, toys on the floor, and dishes to wash. Just gotta do whatcha can, when you can! It's hard to find motivation to clean, right? Or to stop eating chocolate. Ha :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a day like mine! Hopefully, your schedule will get a little less crazy and a little more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh I'm hoping so. These "short" weeks feel twice as long as regular weeks and it's KILLING me.

      Delete
  3. Sounds very familiar- only at least I'm still only dealing with the infant sized problems and I can squeeze my very much needed coffee in while he's being fed. My husband has been coming home from the field this week (which is just an awesome bonus usually) just to sleep, but it's still sucky b/c like you said- he's waking the baby and me....and helping very little. I sure hope you're looming deployment doesn't send you to the crazy house. This crazy housewife would miss your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I feel your pain... It's nice when they get to come home during training because you get to see them! But then you realize that you don't see them, you just see them sleeping. And their dirty dirty laundry piles. Lol
      Don't worry, if I end up in the nut house, I will totally smuggle my phone in with me. Ha ;)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. And you have so many MORE than I do!!! HOW DO YOU DO IT?!?!?!

      Delete
  5. Oh my, this is soooo familiar! Wish I could say it gets better... My advice? I pack my husband's bag with nonperishable lunch stuff for days that he can't get away. Other than that I have nothing else figured out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. Although sometimes escaping from the house (with an actual excuse) is nice for us, but other days... haha not so much. I think I'll load up on granola bars the next time I hit the commissary.. ;)

      Delete
  6. My dishwasher is basically out of commission too.. but I have yet to call the maintenance people. I hope the days go easier with the little one and that you don't take the anger out on hubs. Although I know how freaking easy that is.. lol. Been there done that but without a small person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to figure out new ways to deal with the stress- it usually involves buckling the small person up and going for a walk!

      I called maintenance a while back and they basically told me my dishwasher was now a glorified storage unit. Which is fine with me... My big pans won't fit in my cabinets- problem solved! LOL :)

      Delete
  7. oh man! That sounds like a day! So sorry friend. We can be your target, how about that? Blowing it off in the blog world is such a perk to blogging. Trust me, if you go back to when I first had my second child you will see what I mean!

    You will have better days soon. If not, well know, it's only a season and someone else is probably dealing with the same issues. Not that that really helps any.

    baby two is going to be...a whole new world of crazy! enjoy this one child gig as hellish as it may be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Every time I get frustrated about something, I start thinking about how easy this truly is, and adding another is just going to make it crazier! I'm just crossing my fingers for an "easy baby." I've heard they exist. Praying God sees me fit to have one. LOL

      Delete
  8. I know how awful this is ... but I was smirking through most of this. : ) Mainly because this is all so very, very true and you, somehow, made me laugh through the chaos.

    Yelling through the internet helps.

    A LOT.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is MUCH easier to look back on and laugh at once the day is through and it's written out.. at the time? Hmmm I was FEELING that day so hard! LOL

      Delete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs