Steve had a good birthday evening. Even though I stuck too many candles in his cake. "YOU'RE 25. Not me. I'm 24." Riiiiiiight. I just wanted to see how it would look with an extra candle hole in there.
Speaking of cake, well, I don't think I would recommend the ice cream cake recipe that I pinned and followed. It was good, but boy it looked NOTHING like the cake I pinned (mine was so ugly), and it just tasted so-so. Probably the equivalent of just eating some ice cream cakes, but without the hassle or mess. He did seem pretty surprised that I "made" an ice cream cake for him though, so there's that.
![]() |
| the Pinterest ice-cream cake |
| my ice-cream cake (sad) |
He received some gratuitous gag gifts from me: a Screaming Eagles flag for our garage, another challenge coin (Ft Campbell-specific, of course), and a card that he thought was raunchy but turned out to be the complete opposite. (Heh.) Sam gave him a helmet so that he can legally ride his bike around post and pull him along behind. I also wrapped up some ink pens for him because I knew we were running low, and thought I may as well give him something else to open. And get this: he truly seemed HAPPY about those pens. "Ah Jenn! We've been needing some of these at work! This is great! How did you know?"
And I was just sitting there smiling through my teeth because that? That was not really a gift. It would be the equivalent of Steve gift-wrapping dish soap for me for my birthday. But nevertheless! A good birthday.
| For clarification purposes, our walls are not green. They are white. Between our bad lighting and my lack of photography skills, we get colorful walls in pictures. |
While we were lying in bed last night, he was telling me about what they've been doing at work and what sorts of missions they're training to run over in Afghanistan. It suddenly hit me that he really is going. Nothing is going to just "come up" and prevent this from happening (like I keep hoping). Nothing I can do or say will stop him from boarding that plane. How can he be talking about ammo and guns and killing people that will be attacking him when we were JUST lying in bed talking about how hard his biology class was? Wasn't that just yesterday? Weren't we still complaining about how the stupid transit buses at Auburn never run on time? Weren't we missing each other like crazy when we had to be separated for TWO DAYS for those Guard training weekends once a month? Didn't he just catch a fly in the house and "let it out" instead of killing it like I asked him to? How is he talking about possibly having to kill people to protect himself and his soldiers?! Why doesn't he have one of those jobs where he never has to leave the FOB? Is there any amount of donuts or sweets that I can bring that commander to get him one of those jobs?? You're not even scared? Well this isn't about you, is it?!
Oh wait.
Yes it is.
It's your birthday. Happy birthday. I love you. Good night.

I'm impressed you made an icecream cake! Oh and I realized j never wished Steve happy birthday oops! So better late than never...
ReplyDeleteGirl, you would not be so impressed if you looked at the actual recipe. It's all of like, three steps. Honest. Kind of embarrassing that I could screw even THAT up. LOL
DeleteAwe, your ice cream cake looks good! And I guess that's the Army life; one minute you're talking about normal stuff and the next you're having conversations about deploying and what that entails... R and I have been doing that a lot more too. He's certian they're going but no real info about the mission has been released, making it real for me. I too keep hoping something will just "come up." Doesn't look that way though:(
ReplyDeleteWe can always hope something will just "come up"! That might keep me sane til he actually leaves. I mean didn't a friend's sister's brother-in-law's third cousin's best friend's ex-girlfriend's old neighbor once know someone who got out of a deployment because "something came up"? That's happened to SOMEONE, right? So it could totally happen for us. Totally. ;)
DeleteIt will all be ok...try not to worry about it until the day is here or you will worry yourself to death! How is everything going with the little 'bun in the oven'?
ReplyDeleteBun is baking up nicely! Kicking and squirming and freaking me out at night with thoughts of never sleeping again! :) LOL
DeleteFor me the dread of deployment was worse than the stinking deployment itself. Once you get through d-day you make peace with your new normal and get into a routine. I can look back at the whole deployment just fine but the pictures from deployment day still make me sick! I can't really give hope for sleeping- because I still fear I will never sleep again!
ReplyDeleteI think that that one day has me the most nervous. Seeing him off and then coming home to a house that still looks and smells like he's here. It will be ugly. I see no reason to bother with mascara that day. lol
DeleteO this post tugs at my heartstrings (and not just because my hubs loves really awkwardly practical bday gifts too). Will email you back this weekend!
ReplyDeleteHaha I love a practical gift as much as anyone, but ink pens? Really? I even got the value pack.... LOL
DeleteOh goodness girl.. hang tough. No need in stressing about the inevitable. I know that is hard to say though.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I left you something on my blog!
Sweet! I'm off to check it out! :)
DeleteI think your cake looks good! And honestly, it's hard to create food (and pics) that look like the pins on pinterest. You did great! At least you tried a new recipe. :) I'm telling you nothing is more stressful than pre-deployment. Nothing. Just hang in there!!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear from all of y'all that have "been there, done that" with deployments that we are in the worst of it now. :)
DeleteThe idea of making an ice cream cake just seems sticky and messy, I think I would have skipped the whole thing altogether! It does sound tasty, but who wouldn't love an ice cream cake!
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure how far out you are from you deployment, but after three go rounds, I have to say, the time before they leave can be the worst part. Obviously, there is the stress of the knowledge of the upcoming deployment...it's a constant topic of conversation, and you are just waiting for it to come. Once they leave, you feel like you can begin to tackle it, and begin the countdown for them to return home!
It was a bit messy, but it's what he wanted. I'm all about trying new recipes, but I never have the highest hopes that it will turn out right. Luckily this TASTED good, it just looked like crapola. lol
DeleteThanks for the deployment encouragement!