Today my husband turns 24. Hard to believe. Especially since I told him last night that I couldn't believe he was turning 23. He looked at me and said, "Jenn, I'm only a year younger than you. How old do you think you are?" And I truly believed I was 24. But apparently I turned 25 at some point. Hmm. Don't really remember that happening. But he did the math (because I am not good at math), so IT MUST BE TRUE. Woe is me for being so old that I've already forgotten my age.
Anywho, at least I remembered his birthday (thanks for the reminders, iphone!) and have set out to make an ice cream cake for him today. I recently asked him what he would like for his special birthday dinner. He knew this would be limited to what I could cook for him at home since it's a work night and Sam is not the best eater-outer. So he opted for a frozen pizza. I don't know if I should be thankful that he picked a meal requiring no effort on my part, or insulted that he doesn't want me to actually cook something. I will be easy and go with thankful.
Between last week and this week, I think he's made it home in time for dinner (meaning: sometime before 10pm) all of once. Last week, this was cause for major headaches and bickering. After reading this well-written post, I have since adjusted my attitude and this week has been much MUCH easier (at least for me). I think I tapped into some deep Southern Baptist roots while I was reading it, as I was doing lots of head-nodding, "Amen"-ing out loud, probably had my hands up in the air like, Girl, I KNOW right? PREACH IT.
I can't control how long he stays at work, when he goes out to the field, who inconveniently has a problem that they wait to bring up at 6pm when he is getting ready to leave, or anything else about his job. But maybe if a couple of donuts ended up on the commander's desk, reminding him that today is my beloved's birthday and that I would really love to see him before my eyes shut tonight, he might get home on time just this once? Maybe?
Ah, well, worth a shot at least.
I was forced to do this, you see, because ORIGINALLY, I had these grand plans of making him funfetti pancakes for breakfast when he got home from PT. Even went so far as to make a special trip to the commissary (in the rain, mind you) to get more syrup and funfetti mix. But he comes home last night telling me that the commander says to skip going home after PT. Just stay at the company to shower. Ya know, I wish this guy would at least run these ideas by me beforehand. It could really simplify things. But he does not (yet), so I came up with Plan 2, and that was to bring breakfast to him.
After dropping off breakfast to our birthday boy, Sam and I had to race across town to get to his doctor's appointment. And guess what? He's still orange apparently! I just do! not! see it! So the doc wants to do bloodwork to test his liver function. I am strongly opposed to this because #1. it is a bajillion degrees in this office and Sam and I are both sweating like turkeys on Thanksgiving. (This is not really "winter" here. No need to run the heat like you do.) #2. Sam vehemently opposes having his blood pressure taken on his FOOT; how on EARTH will we survive needles and a blood draw?!?!?!?!?!?!
Why did I talk myself out of wearing my prescription-strength deodorant today.....
The nurse in charge of baby blood-draws comes in, takes one quick look at him, and says, "Oh he doesn't have any liver problems. Just lay off the carrots." I told her that we had already cut all orange food out of his diet for two straight weeks, hoping to fix this issue. And she said, "I take it you were feeding him carrots and orange foods for much longer than two weeks. So it's most likely going to take more than two weeks to correct itself. If he's still orange in six months, call me then." HA! In yo FACE docta'! No bloodwork for us. That was a good thing, because I was going to have to start stripping some clothes off if I had to be in that office much longer. And that is something that NO ONE wants to see.
Speaking of clothes and being ridiculously uncomfortable, we recently got word that our company's military ball is coming up in March. Like, the part of March BEFORE I pop this baby out. So I will obviously be grotesquely huge and not the slightest bit drunk at this shindig (talk about a 180...), and you can all tell that it's just going to be so much FUN. My question to you is this: Where does one go about finding a formal maternity gown/dress to wear to such a function? Why yes, I HAVE searched craigslist, and no, I have found nothing worth spending money on. (I know. Jinxed myself talking about my awesome craigslist luck yesterday. Dang.) I really don't want to buy a brand new maternity gown (GAWD, that sounds so ugly and fat...). Any suggestions? Know of any type of rental company that might lease out giant ball gowns? Maybe I could just find a nice, silk bedsheet and drape it appropriately. Tell folks I'm going for that Grecian look. Also, have any of you military wives made it through an entire military ball completely sober? Is there any hope for me? Or am I doing "the unthinkable"?
1. Mmmmmm Dunkin donuts (this baby is a junk foodaholic)
ReplyDelete2. I don't see it with Sammy either (in previous posts)
3. Easy dinner = more time together :)
4. Good luck on finding a dress I have no suggestions being I haven't dressed formal since my wedding in 08 lol
You know I snagged myself a coffee while I picked up those donuts.... lol ;)
ReplyDelete-Happy Bday Steve, you best make it home for your pizza!
ReplyDelete-I like that you threw out a 'preach it' and 'in yo face' in one post, impressive work my friend.
-Any cosignment stores nearby you could try? I have a bridesmaid dress that I wore 24 weeks pregs that I would be happy to lend :) It is green and forgiving :)
Oh Kate! You are too sweet! Also? HILARIOUS as you are so skinny and I am, well, not. HA :) I will be approximately 37 weeks pregnant by the ball date and I will look more like a velociraptor than a "lady".
DeleteThank you for your offer though!!! I might try to see if there are some consignment places around. :)
I pinned that ice cream cake, sounds delicious and easy. Enjoy celebrating!! Happy birthday to your hubby! And I have no idea about gowns, etc. We (being in the enlisted world) don't really get into balls. Thank God. I hate dressing up in dresses. Eww. Ha ha, I probably am not helping. Good luck! ;)
ReplyDeleteI just made it! Very easy!! And there are so many little ice cream cakes to cut that you are forced (forced I tell you!) to eat some while you're making it. So that is definitely not a downside to making this. I will definitely let you know how the final product turns out as it is chillin' in my freezer now. :)
DeleteI am not a dress-uppy person either so I understand where you're coming from! ;)
THANK YOU for linking, Jenn!!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the awesome post! That was JUST what I needed to read that day. As I read through more and more of your posts, I find myself going "yep, yep yep! She gets it!". So thank YOU for writing such genuine stuff. :)
DeleteAWW! THANK YOU!!! I LOVE your blog!
DeleteNow those donuts are talking my kinda preggo language! LOL.
ReplyDeleteThey have a military ball coming up shortly after I deliver too. I told the hubby he would be going that one alone...Regardless of the fact that I won't have a dress I'll fit in and I refuse to buy a dress to accommodate this preggo weight, I wouldn't be able to leave my 2 week old baby...I don't even think kiddos are allowed at those things anyhow...Maybe one of these days I'll get to attend one IN THE DRESS I bought pre pregnancy for a ball last year...The last two times a ball came around, I wasn't able to go, last minute. This makes a 3rd time...R will be deployed for the next one...Sigh...I hope you have fun anyhow!!
Oh man! Major disappointment that you haven't been able to go (and you actually have a dress!), but I honestly don't think you've missed out on all that much.. lol Just my humble opinion. ;)
DeleteI went to one right after we moved here last year, and Sam was probably 4-ish months old. The ol' body was NOT up to par, that's for sure. And I thought, Hoo boy, I'll never be THIS size again, so I sold the dress immediately after. Gah.
Couple things:
ReplyDelete1. I forget my age all the time. Just today I had myself (happily) convinced I was 25 but alas it wasn't true.
2. When we were at Ft. Benning, we had to (I guess I should say we GOT to) meet the post commanding general at a cocktail/formal type party and I was pretty pregnant. I must warn you...DO NOT WEAR HEELS. YOU WILL DIE. Ok, maybe you won't die, but your feet will. Also, I may or may not have passed out at said party. It. was. embarrassing. I'm sure my soldier was so proud.
3. Happy Bday to your man!
Amen to the heels!! I wore some low ones to the last military ball and thought my feet were going to fall off by the end of it. Will definitely make a mental note to wear flats. ;)
DeleteSo thankful I didn't have to wear my backup "still enormously pregnant with giant 9+ pound baby" outfit to homecoming. The Army and babies together make for the world's most unreliable schedules and timelines!
ReplyDeleteThey do! I read Madden's birth story the other day and still cannot believe how perfectly it all turned out! Maybe I will have this baby early and get Steve and myself out of going to this altogether... ;)
DeleteHappy birthday to your hubby! And Godspeed with the military ball. I have never before had to attend without benefit of STRONG drinks!!
ReplyDeleteYes, this will be my first sober ball as well... Surprisingly, I'm not all that excited about it. Strange.. ;)
DeleteI'm thinking.. I got this dress that I bought for a ball I never attended with my husband two years ago. Anyway it is fitted in the boobage area and then jersey the rest of the area.. so it's very forgiving. Maybe won't make you feel so large (with cute baby of course!) I got mine at David's Bridal. I did pay a lot.. when I originally bought my dress there it was a bridesmaids dress for a wedding that ended up not happening.. and they worked with me to trade out for the dress I could use. But maybe you could find something similar?
ReplyDeleteOh and 25.. 23. 24. 26. whatever you want to be!