I've decided that this is how it's going to be from now on

7.09.2014

  • Bullets. Because it ain't broke. And this might be the only way I can peck out sentences that are somewhat grammatically correct.
  • 4th of July! No, I am not recapping. You would only get a few crappy cell phone photos anyway. We ate at a Korean McDonalds, talked to a very nice Korean couple (the husband was wearing a "Britain" shirt- and I didn't have the heart to tell him "right colors, wrong country"), then went on post for the festival there. We saw a Korean marching band, and I've got to say, it's the most interesting marching band I've ever seen. These girls were dressed in these leather outfits (tall boots, short skirts, etc) and alternated between dancing, marching, singing, and playing their instruments. HIGHLY entertaining. Luckily I had the presence of mind to film some of it on my phone and that kept everyone entertained during today's doctor's appointment. #winning
  • Today's doctor's appointment existed so that Sam could get a physical so I can sign him up for soccer. We learned that he is perfectly stubborn. He wouldn't answer any questions the sweet nurse was asking him for the vision test and acted like he was being stuck with hot pokers while getting his temperature and blood pressure taken. (He has high blood pressure, btw. Probably from all the thrashing about and screaming.) I assured the doc that his vision is great- he can spy a helicopter/digger/garbage truck from miles away and never misses candy, even if it's carefully hidden. After the appointment, we headed over to CYSS and I realized immediately why I've never registered my children for anything on post before- because it is one giant PITA. Passport numbers, copy of orders, copy of command sponsorship memo, husband has to sign for NEO- I mean, do we LOOK like we just decided to come to Korea (Camp CASEY of all places?!) of our own free will and try to register for 3yo soccer so we could get a free tshirt? Because if so, maybe I need to upgrade my makeup situation, because it isn't hiding my crazy like I thought it was. Regardless, I have something like 20 more days to return this stack of papers so The Powers That Be can rest assured that we are legit Army dependents who are here legally. Hopefully I can get it done in time. (fingers crossed)
  • My AC has been cranked up for the summer! Huzzah! It works, and it's fabulous. And I don't even care what the bill looks like for these two months out of the year. I will not watch my children sweat to death at 7am.
  • Sad news- my fridge died. But only the fridge. Thank GOD because I have something like $100 worth of meat in my freezer and I can't afford for that to kick the bucket on me now. The fridge was mostly empty, but all of my condiments died a slow, warm death and I went through the disgusting process of seeing what would go down the sink drain yesterday morning before the repairman came. Spoiler alert- the pickle relish did not go down. Neither did the almond butter. So after I poured a mixture of garlic spaghetti sauce, grape jelly, mayonnaise, blueberry greek yogurt, and incredibly moldy sour cream down the drain (you better believe that it smelled like vomit), I had to stick my hand down into the murky vom-smelling waters and scoop the obstructions out of the food catcher. I only had to bleach my hands a few dozens times to get the heebie jeebies off, but I'm fine now. Remembering the relish and butter info for future reference though. I get to take the kids to the commi with me this afternoon to replenish the supplies so that should be SO FUN.
  • We went to a sand cafe with our good friends in Seoul earlier this week and it was so cute! So tiny! So sandy! Molly is over a kids cafe after about an hour, so once her crazy set in, we started packing up to leave. As we were headed towards the stairs, I cautioned Sam about how thin and steep the steps were (not a great combo for unstable toddlers), and to be careful. Right as I said that, I see Molly flying face first down the stairs and I instinctively grabbed in her direction. Saved her! But by her hair. ((ouch)) So I'm not really sure what she would have preferred- fall down a flight of stairs, or have your mother hold you up by your hair? Sorry Molly. I went with my gut. You were soothed by listening to "Love Is An Open Door" 6,000 times on repeat. Our poor friends. It's a wonder they still invite us places. 
  • In other news, we used the Korean sitter! She is awesome! I mean, I had a brief freakout once we left about how we basically left our kids with someone we know nothing about, but I had a good feeling about this girl. We arrived at our favorite beef and leaf and I tried explaining (to the older woman that owns the place) why we weren't coming on Tuesdays for lunch anymore. "Our kids aren't in preschool during the summer. And they are crazy, so we can't bring them here." I don't think she understood any of it, and I don't think she's ever understood that we have children, so I pulled out my phone and showed her a picture of Sam and Molly. Her eyes widened. 
    • "OH! These your children?!?!" 
    • Yes. Don't they look like us? Or maybe just him? 
    • "Where your children now? States?" 
    • No, they're here. 
    • "Dongducheon??" 
    • Yes. They're with a babysitter.
  • That wasn't clicking at all. I could tell by her face. So I showed her a picture of our sitter and told her that our kids were with her. Even more confusion. (Probably wondering why I have a teenage Asian daughter.) I'm fairly certain that she thinks we locked our kids in our apartment so we could come eat. "Babysitter" is not in the Korean vocab and I'm going to try and ask around to see what word would come closest so I can better explain myself next time. Or maybe I'll just bring the kids and see what happens.
  • On our way home from dinner, I texted the sitter to let her know we were headed their way. No response and she didn't read the message. We got upstairs and no one was there. For one brief moment I thought that maybe, just maybe, she was crazy enough to kidnap my children, but then we looked out the window and saw them all running across the playground. She had taken them down to the store to get ice cream. Because of course! Sam was none too pleased to see us. He was actually closer to "irate" if I had to put a word to his emotions. He loved hanging out with her, and I can tell that he used the language barrier to his advantage- half-eaten bowl of mac n cheese on the couch, a movie paused, sitter sent me a video showing the kids being pushed on the swings, and ice cream. She's great with them and I can't wait to have her over again.
  • And I think that's it for today. Here are some pictures!
Listening to that Frozen song. On repeat. Foreverrrrrrrrr.......

Sam's feelings on listening to that &$^%! song again.

13 comments :

  1. Thank you for my before bed laugh. Thank goodness I didn't wake Josh up.
    On another note, my kids hate when we return from anything. I just assume it's a precursor to the teen years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! your posts are the best!!
    Yay for AC! Boo for broken fridges.
    Yay for a babysitter! I'd have freaked out too!

    And oh my gosh, it's such a hassle to register them for CYSS!! I'm about to go through it with Fin & Maddie to get them in soccer and an art class! I'm procrastinating though because it's such a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding a good sitter is like finding a pot of gold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay for the babysitter working out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny. What an adventure for you all living in Korea. We lived in Japan so I appreciate the culture barriers you are navigating right now. They are definitely amusing to say the least :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad your Korean sitter worked out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know people who are all like "Let's keep the a/c at 83 because there's no reason to be comfortable in our own home when we can save a few bucks every month!" Meanwhile, I've got ours down to 70 and when the bill comes I just sit back and enjoy my lack of boob sweat. IT'S WORTH IT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Geez, I thought registering for CYSS here stateside was difficult. Sounds like they put y'all through the ringer there. But I can't wait to see pictures of 3 year old soccer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am slightly jealous of these play cafes. Why does America not have them? I bet it has something to do with those germ a phobes. Bleh. Anywho... never doing cyss. I would hope it is easier stateside but something tells me that is a no.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yea for a babysitter! Holy paperwork! I was thinking of signing Lucas up for a sport this year, hopefully I won't have that much paperwork. Although the paperwork to sign him up for Kindergarten is pretty darn lengthy. Thankfully I can do it all on my own :) I love our a/c and can't imagine living without it. Especially in the Florida summer

    ReplyDelete
  11. CYS is the worst. I pray your kids don't have allergies. That just makes it 10x harder...

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMGosh I love your bullet post. I end up reading at least 1/2 allowed to Anthony if he is here haha. I hope Sam has fun with soccer and you can get all the paperwork filled in correctly, what a pain. I plan to sign Wil up and possibly looking at dance for Harper - I might be crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh you know, just doing my monthly-or-longer blog catch up where I crack up at your posts and miss reading them on the regular.

    ReplyDelete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs