Weekend recap

2.21.2017

Pre-long weekend, we helped Monica take care of some farm animals at her in-laws' farm while they were out of town. We didn't so much help as tag along and ask stupid questions about everything. Molly is really very extremely concerned that those cows have not been milked! How much longer can they last?! (They are boy cows.)


We collected eggs and found one that was so massive, I thought surely we'd find a chicken with broken hips lying somewhere, ready to be made into nuggets. But the kids ran about and caught a few chickens and everyone appeared to be walking normally. God bless 'em! Makes me appreciate an XL egg even more.


I was so busy trying to convince Molly that a chicken wouldn't bite her (one of the boys was trying to hand her one) that I didn't even notice Sam standing right behind me, carrying a chicken of his own around! Like he does this everyday or something. Farmer Sam is such a cutie!

Will was extra sweet in the tub that night.




On Friday we went out to Monica's house to play. Mav and Molly aren't in school on Fridays and get awfully bored without each other. Luckily for all of us, it was closing in on 40* and things were thawing out! We spent a lot of time outside soaking up the sun and pretending we might sunbathe our white, wintry skin. (LOLZ)


We ended up doing our gender reveal photos that afternoon/evening and then everyone convened for dinner at their massive farm table. We almost let the kids have a sleepover that night but grandma snagged the boys first, so we headed home and let the kids watch a movie. (This is A Very Big Deal, as I enforce A Very Strict Bedtime and there is usually no time for tv of any sort, but they were allowed to stay up til 8 and watch their movie.)


And popcorn! Sometimes I am a cool mom.

Saturday came and we headed to Fargo for errands. But first, a selfie.


I was given approximately 30 seconds to prepare for this selfie, so changing into something besides pajamas won out over applying any makeup. Thus, the sunglasses. Also, that snow can be really bright.

On Sunday, we all overslept for church since Will was up screeching like a howler monkey at 4am for a banana and then finally went back to sleep. We ended up spending most of the day out at Rick and Monica's house. The kids played, we hung out outside (it was quite a bit chillier, but still sunny and we can't turn down sun!), and had dinner. Then the kids stayed the night! Will apparently sleeps fine when in a room alone! Huh! Go figure! TIME TO UPGRADE OUR HOUSING SITUATION.


Come Monday morning, it was rainy and everything completely melted overnight. Molly had dug down through the snow a while back to find a sidewalk in front of our house, so we were anxious to see what else laid under the frozen layer that we called our yard.

Well.


Turns out, it is mostly JUST MUD. NO GRASS. All these folks posting photos of beautiful greenery and flowers popping up through the snow and this is what I've got going on over here. The front yard is actually much worse than this and we don't even park in the driveway anymore for fear of getting stuck in the mud. In our own driveway. Gonna have to remedy that somehow.

The rainy weather called for muffins, and I thought it might be nice to exchange muffins for children when we picked them up from their sleepover. I made these cinnamon coffee cake muffins and thought they were just kinda meh. Not sweet or moist enough. Monica disagreed so I guess the jury is out on whether these are worth making or not. The kids ended up just bringing the party over here so Monica could study. Talk about a full house!


We had grilled cheese for lunch (and many many clementines) and I decided that since my muffins were such a fail(ish), that I would make some monster cookies for the kids.


I used this recipe and was once again, unimpressed. They were breaking apart before I could even get them off the cookie sheet. No way was I stacking them as shown in the Pinterest-perfect photo. Fortunately/unfortunately, they tasted amazing. A few of them survived the transfer from cookie sheet to wire rack and those were stackable. But overall, PITA to make (you can only bake three cookies at a time!) and they were very fussy (bake 12 minutes, return to smush with a fork, bake another 6 minutes, let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes, transfer broken pieces to wire rack, keep track of the next batch on the 12 minute cycle in the oven, etc.). Too much work for glorified oatmeal cookies. They were crazy delicious though, so proceed with caution there.

FUGLY

We slapped together some sort of hodge podge dinner that Will combed his hair with (jelly was involved), baths, blocks, bed.

Lipless Molly and her beautiful stable/garage

Squatty Sam and his car crash setup

Will started out the morning strong at 4:15, screaming for a banana. I want him to have his own room so badly. (SO BADLY) I'd kindly inform him that no, bananas are not served before the hour of 6:30am, go back to sleep, sir, and exit the room. Unfortunately, if I did that now, it would only result in him screaming louder, which would wake up the bigger two he shares a room with, and three kids awake at 4:15 is not my idea of a good time. So he gets his damn banana, and usually goes back to sleep. Except this morning he did not. More screeching.


He was so pleased with himself. Kept turning around a flashing me the biggest grin. YES. LOVE THIS. Mommy AND Baby Einstein! Jackpot! Gonna repeat this every morning!


Yes, you are cute. No, I still do not want to see you until sometime after 6.

He's already up from his nap so I guess I better get a move on and relieve my babysitter up there (Molly, performing her latest song and dance for his entertainment). Maybe I'll make a mud pie today? Can't turn out any worse than my weekend baking adventures.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs