Blessed

10.09.2013

Instead of this...

I can't understand ANYTHING here. I wish there were more things in English.

This...

I am so thankful to have the opportunity to live overseas.

Instead of this...

Ugh he's working late AGAIN!

This...

I am so thankful my husband has a job and a paycheck.

Instead of this...

The commissary here only stocks three types of yogurt.

This...

I am so thankful to have access to familiar groceries and the option to go off post for more abundant food options.

Instead of this...

I'm so tired of sleeping on this air mattress... (which broke this morning)

This...

I am so thankful to have a roof over my head and a bed on its way (somewhere out there).

Instead of this...

I'm sick of living so far from my family and am jealous of people who are so close to theirs.

This...

I am so thankful to have family worth missing.

Instead of this...

I don't wanna cook dinner tonight. These kids will only eat a few bites and then make a huge mess.

This...

I am so thankful to have food to cook, a clean place to cook it, and children who are well-fed (even if they are picky and messy).

Instead of this...

I hate the medical care here and I'm so tired of taking my kids to these appointments.

This...

I am so thankful to have access to medical care and thankful for healthy children who are not facing any life-threatening illnesses.

Instead of this...

I wish Steve would stop snoring and hogging the only sheet we possess.

This...

I am so thankful that my husband is home, sleeping next to me in bed, safe and sound. And clearly alive, with all that snoring going on.

Instead of this...

I wish Sam would leave me alone for two seconds so I can pee without being asked a million questions.

This...

I am so thankful that my boy is speaking so clearly and has the curiosity to ask questions about things around him (even if the questions are centered around my lady bits).

********

Instead of looking around and comparing and wanting and wishing and hoping for other things, I am trying to make more of an effort to realize that everything I have is more than sufficient and to be satisfied with what I've been given. NOT ALWAYS EASY ("do as I say! not as I do!") but when you look around, we all have blessings coming out the wazoo. Be thankful!



(Side story- When Steve and I realized at 4am this morning that we were sleeping on a deflated air mattress, Steve rolled over and said, "Why did you break it?" And a man that can make me laugh about that at 4 in the morning is a keeper. Then he brought me Starbucks. Because he's a saint, of course.)

21 comments :

  1. This is a wonderful reminder. Even in the toughest times there is always something to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, why did you break it, Jenn?! Geez.
    For real though, I'm sorry! But YAY Starbucks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! Steve sounds like a keeper!! Hang in there momma!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true! That's a great attitude to have! But holy moly where are your HHGs?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Saint Jenn, Silver linings. You found all of them. Sincerely, Allison

    Dear Saint Steve, Don't ever change. Sincerely, Allison

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great post! A reminder to us all that we should look at the bright side more :) I might have to steal this idea haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always tell myself this, but I have to be better about actually living it..
    Glad that Molly is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! It really is hard sometimes to find the positive in every day. But I think we all are better when we try and find it in everything. I know I am guilty of not always finding the joy or positive in things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post!! We have slept on a broken air mattress before... bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a wonderful reminder to be thankful for what you have. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I forget too easy how blessed I really am.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amen, there is always a blessing in everything. You just have to focus on it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love, love, love this! I definitely needed a reminder after this week of nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're one of my favorite people.

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great perspective my dear friend. You are an amazing, strong woman! But seriously, who is driving the HHG boat? They should be fired.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is exactly why I named my blog Perception Is Everything! Learning to adapt to Military life is all about perspective and how you choose to see things :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday to your gorgeous little boy! :)

    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs