I swear he's just not steady on his feet

8.10.2012

Poor Sam. He is such a "trial baby." I will readily admit that I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to parenting. I do what I think is best (obviously), but in the end, it has definitely come down to trial-and-error. The errors this week?

1. Falling off the bed = bloody nose (Lesson learned? No more monkeys jumping on the bed.)

2. Falling off a curb = bloody head (Lesson learned? Children cannot be trusted to do what I say, not even for two seconds.)

3. Waiting until "school season" to think about (and act on) signing Sam up for preschool. I don't know why it never occurred to me that parents would sign their kids up any sooner than August (ok, MAYBE late July). But after calling every preschool I deemed acceptable and finding out that they were booked like, AHAHAHA, MONTHS ago, I realized that I could just add it to my list of trial-and-error mom fails. When I was younger, my mom took my siblings and me to Mother's Day Out at a local Methodist church. So that is my vision of normal when it comes to a preschool setting. Being Catholic, I decided to call the Catholic church downtown first to see if they had any openings. I think I could hear the lady snicker on the other end as I explained that my son would be in the 1's class and were there any openings? Nope. They were booked in APRIL. You know, when registration started.

Next up? The Methodists. Booked, but I got on the wait-list. "Something might come available mid-year, maybe." I asked how far down on the wait-list I was. Ninth. Yeah, probably not happening at the Methodist church. (Called three other Methodist churches after that- same answer.)

Moving right along. Episcopalians. They don't even offer a preschool.

Finally, Baptists. I don't know why they are ranked last in my little ill-informed, no-research-done list of church preschools. My mom's family is Baptist and she was a Baptist herself until she converted after marrying my dad, but I just always think about going to church with my Baptist friends when I was younger and how MASSIVE and overwhelming Baptist churches always seemed to me with their mazes of hallways and classrooms. And everyone (over-generalization here) was very touchy-feely, which Sam is most definitely NOT (try to hug him, and you might experience the painful feeling that is your ear-drum shattering). So I just felt kinda "meh" about it. They took care of the issue for me and just never returned my call. I have a feeling that they are booked anyway, judging by their website and "curriculum."

After that, I was all "woe is me!" because I took so long to come around to the idea of preschool, and now that I'm finally on-board with it, I can't even find a place to send my child! Gah!

Enter Aggie. She has many Protestant friends with young kids and I begged her to ask them where they send their kids. She did, and told me about the Presbyterians. Gah! The Presbyterians! How could I have overlooked them in my search-based-solely-on-my-childhood-feelings-about-other-churches-I-may-have-only-visited-once?! I have never been to a Presbyterian church before (I think), but they seem traditional and good and OMG MUST CALL THEM AS SOON AS THE CLOCK STRIKES EIGHT AM! I called and found out that they had two openings left in the 1's class on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. That was exactly what I wanted for Sam anyway, so I was all SIGN HIM UP! And God bless the Presbyterians!!!

We go for the open house in a couple weeks and that sounds Very Official. Like, we-must-bring-shot-records-and-allergy-lists-and-disposable-diapers-and-possibly-a-backpack official. Not gonna lie, y'all. I'm excited. Excited for Sam to have this structure for two days a week, having activities geared towards his age level, possibly making some new friends. Don't get me wrong, he always has a few playdates a week, but let's be honest. Playdates are for moms, right? (Right?) And I'm excited for ME because hello! One kid!!! For THREE HOURS!!! Errands will be so much faster and easier, and when we're not running errands I can just spend time giving Molly and her cheeks my undivided attention. So now you can all breathe a big collective sigh of relief for me. I will survive. The Presbyterians have come to my aid bearing finger paints and animal crackers and juice.


Side note: Y'all should really go visit Aggie's blog. She is AWESOME in-real-life, and just as hilarious on her blog, which is all design-y and fashionable and pretty. She has two boys that are the same age as Sam and Molly and I honestly wish we lived next-door to them so we could hang out more than once a week. But go make friends with her. Seriously. 

15 comments :

  1. That is so great you got him in somewhere :) I want to say that the school at our church is always saying they have openings but maybe not for the 1s.

    I think this year I am just going to do CDC with J and then find something more regular next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found a preschool for Sam! We have the same problem here, the really good ones are full all of the time. :) I think Sam will LOVE preschool!!!
    Don't beat yourself up too much about trial and error, at least you are trying your hardest, there are some parents (I teach their kids) who don't even try, you are leaps and bounds ahead of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute picture of you two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you're lucky that they have preschool for Sam's age around you! We don't have that here. But I started looking at preschools in May, and the Catholic school was booked up, too. So Presbyterians to the rescue for Fletcher, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I considered finding a preschool for Wil and backed out. Next year :) please keep us updated on how he likes it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quinn is still on a waiting list too. We started in the spring with the calls and went on a tour. The director deemed him acceptable for admission but now we have to wait for people to PCS the heck out of here. It is a Montessori program. I think that will be good for my strange child. I didn't want to shell out big bucks for an MDO where he was bored and therefore acted like a terror for someone else. We can do that for free right here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha when i've gone to baptist churchese and events, it's all hugging. i'm with sam. it makes me want to scream.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY!!!!! Congratulations on finding a place. Have you had time to really, really think about that time with Sam in school? I did that today imagining W at school, and I almost cried at the thought of possibility. Brava, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're planning on sending AJ next year (I'm not sure they offer it before 3 here) and I never thought I'd need to register her that early. Now you can bet than right after Christmas I'll be calling to see when I can sign her up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whew! Glad you found something that will work for you guys! I should probably make friends around here so K won't be the weird kid without any social skills. We've had one playdate that I can think of...ever. I do try to take him to chapel once a week for a couple of hours just so that he sees there are other tiny humans on the planet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought about it multiple times this year and never went for it. I couldn't yet. But lately I feel like a failure for NOT doing it. Isn't it the normal thing for two year olds to go to preschool? So now I feel like ok holding him back. And now that I'm moving in November, isn't it too late?
    Ahhh but this is about you, not me right? I can't wait to hear all about your thoughts on it! And glad to have an expert wherever Andrew starts (you know... When he's 5)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You already know how stoked I am that Sam bones got into preschool, holla! And talk about blog love, thanks for the shout out. I've been spreading around your blog like wildfire...because I want others to pee their pants while lol-ing too.... :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! I am so happy for you and for Sam. It will be so good for all of you. And just so you know, the Presbryterins do it right- that's where C is now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay so happy for you! :) I love the picture of you too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our little Sammmy Pants (no idea where that name came from) is growing up!!! :'( Anyway, you can use me as an alternate pick-up person if you need to. I suppose I could drag myself over there once in a while if you're too busy. ;)

    Btw, I've always been Baptist and while the church I grew up in was not, I have been to baptist churches that are so large(and very white!) and have so many posters on the walls that you almost feel like you're in Sam's Club. As for hugging, the Sunday school teacher in Petersburg was a man in his 60's who insisted on hugging me at least three times every Sunday. Christopher said he had an old man crush on me.

    Comment complete. YOU'RE WELCOME.

    ReplyDelete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs