I don't see how they can legally call that "fun"

8.12.2012

I have mentioned to a few of you (through email, twitter conversations, etc) that Steve is on top of his game when it comes to physical activity. I probably mentioned this to you while we were lamenting the fact that we are (or rather, I am) NOT good at physical activity. I used to be in really good shape. Sometime back in college. Before Steve started giving me rides to class, because after that started I had no way to burn off all that pizza we were eating and then bleh. Present-day Jenn. Chubs McGee.

Pounds have slowly but surely (emphasis on SLOWLY) been coming off since Molly's birth. Nowhere near as fast as I want it to obviously, but the scale is still moving. Down. Sort of. I mean, I uncovered the secret to making loads and loads of breastmilk (spoiler: it's CARBS. Tons and tons of CARBS. Preferably of the pizza variety.). So consuming carbs and then burning carbs to make milk has sorta evened me out weight-wise, but THIS POST IS NOT ABOUT WEIGHT OR BREASTMILK SO LET ME GET BACK ON TRACK HERE.

Ok. I haven't officially "worked out" in quite some time. My sister and I did some Jillian Michaels over the summer and I hobbled around like a centennial for about four days, but that's about it. So it is no surprise that I am out of shape. Steve recently came home from work and told me CASUALLY that there is a family fun run on the 30th. I asked how far fun was. He said two miles. I might have said a curse word or seven. Because two miles?? Seriously?? How is that fun? How is running anywhere fun? I mean, running out to get wine is one thing, running around in a big circle "for fun" is another. So since Steve is the resident heckler about people falling out on runs, I obviously canNOT fall out on this run. How would that look? And how would I ever be able to tell his coworkers all of the other things I am very GOOD at instead of running? Like, for example, wine-drinking? Fudge-making? Cute-baby birthing? I think I would be too winded to explain, in proper detail, all of the things that I am very proficient at. (I know I'm not supposed to end a sentence with "at" but OMG- have been staring at that sentence for five minutes now and can't figure out another way to say it. ARREST ME NOW, GRAMMAR POLICE.)

So my question to y'all IS:
What is the easiest, non-time-suckiest way to get into shape QUICK? Like, two and a half weeks quick? I am hoping all of your responses sound something like, "Be sure to rest and hydrate yourself, occasionally with water. White wine is best though. Antioxidants and such. Chocolate is good for the legs. Pizza is known for its endurance building; carb-loading and such."

How I feel when someone mentions running

Also, I know good and well that I just need to get out there and sweat. But ugh. Sweating. I hate it so. Almost as much as I hate running.

19 comments :

  1. I'll tell you my secret for fun runs. I place a nice piece of chocolate cake at wherever the end of the run is. I pass everyone like at a bat out of China bc I don't want ANYONE getting near my cake.

    Just kidding. I always come in dead last. Anywho....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have NO idea I will probably be asking this question in a couple months. So good luck and I look forward to hearing all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to know too...lol Are you able to walk it? Put the kids in the stroller and walk? Or would that be too long?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't train, drink too much the night before and hope the the run will cure your hangover. Also, make Steve push the stroller. And bust out the yoga capris.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My vote is hanging out with a bunch of people who are really sick the night before the fun run or get food poisoning the night before...Then there is no way you'll have to run in the "FUN" run!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sit on the sidelines with the baby and cheer for the other runners. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just get out there and run! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm all about the white wine, chocolate, and pizza diet!! It actually sounds a little bit like my weekend :) I have found the Couch to 5K running plan to be pretty good at helping to build up running capacity and your endurance level. You won't be anywhere near the finishing point of it by the time of your run, but two weeks of it should at least get you to the point of not quite feeling like you're going to die before finishing the race.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe try a couch-to-5k app? It's designed to get you from nothing to 5k-ready in 6 weeks, but maybe 2.5 weeks of doing it will have you psyched for a 2 mile run? It will have you walking/running in short intervals... just do it every day!... and will build you up to running longer distances.

    It's tough, because it really does take 3 weeks of doing something regularly to become a habit. But just think! By the time this run hits, you'll be hooked. Right? ;)

    Drink lots of water, get you some protein, and go! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gah, I hated running at first too. I think the first few days are THE WORST but then (*gasp*) I actually started to enjoy it :) We can 'wog' (walk+jog) together anytime! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our fun run was last Friday. I am in such great shape that Brian didn't even tell me about it. Which was fine by me. Good luck to you, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here's what I'd do: Choose 4-5 days a week that are going to be your training days. On the first day alternate running for 30 seconds and walking for 2 minutes until you've gone 2 miles. If that felt relatively easy, try running for 60 seconds and walking for 90 seconds on your next training day. That might not feel as easy, so just keep doing that until it does. Then run for 90 seconds and walk for 60 for as many days as that feels like a challenge. Keep up that pattern until all you're doing is running. In two weeks I don't know if you'll be at the point where you're only running, but you'll at least be more ready than if you hadn't done it. And races have a way of pushing you to run further than you think you can. If all my rotund glory can finish a race, you can definitely do it!

    Oh, and during your "running" portions, don't overdo it. Just jog at a comfortable pace so you don't burn yourself out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! I have to agree, I'm not sure who decided to put the words "fun" and "run" together, but I don't think running is fun, at all :) But good luck to you and I agree, put a nice big piece of chocolate and a large glass of wine at the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't have any real tips on how to get in shape but one thing that works for me to keep the suck-i-ness level of having to work out at a minimum is having a great work-out playlist.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have gotten myself into these predicaments from time to time. When J was deployed, his brother asked me run a half marathon with him in two weeks! Um? Not one to back down from a challenge, I was all-yeah sure I can do that. It semi-worked. Maybe my advice is to fake it till you make it. LOL That's probably not healthy though. haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. I ran competitively for 8 years including 4 years of Division I in college. I was a conference champion in the 10k (25 laps) and all conference in cross county. I can't run a mile now four years later. I also have a stress fracture in my foot merely from existing as a human. If you figure out a get-in-shape-quick secret let me know. My plan for the summer has been to only stand up completely straight when wearing a bathing suit. It has failed me big time. Loose baby belly skin is so cruel even if the scale says hey that's a relatively small 3 digit number. My phone just autocorrected 'has' to Judas.... Perhaps a divine message that my body has turned against me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. you kill me! ummm try c25k? I did it for not quite 4 weeks and even though I'd never made it past running 2 miles I managed to power out the 3.1 during the run. I'm pretty sure the thousand people around me propelled me forward!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need to get my duff off the couch and start working out. I started c25k a few days ago and then the weather decided to heat up. No way am I doing any kind of work out in 90 degrees... in my house. WA doesn't usually get this hot so we don't have A/C... kill me now. please.

    p.s. I have something for you on my blog. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved this post Jenn!! You had me smiling at your question of how far fun was lol
    I too hate exercise, sweating, exertion, uggh!!! Which is why the kilos (pounds) never leave my side (literally my side). Now I need to go and read your post on the fun run hahaha

    ReplyDelete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs