I really don't like the pressure of coming up with a title

6.30.2014

Today is supposed to be a photo post, but that's gonna have to go up tomorrow. Because the camera and its cord are in the kitchen, and I am in bed with the fan pointed directly at me. So you see the problem this poses to uploading photos right now.
  • I pulled my back trying to shove Molly into her carseat this afternoon. I know this isn't a problem most Koreans would have (since they typically don't use carseats at all and are all a size -6), but when someone parks all of four inches away from you, it makes it difficult to squeeze toddlers into the backseat. I launched Molly into her crib for a nap when we got home and threatened Sam with all sorts of things if he got out of bed. I assumed the position (horizontal) in front of the fan. Thirty minutes later, Sam comes out to tell my that "Myer pewped." I hobble in there to see that not only has Myer pewped, but she has taken it upon herself to do some exploratory research and once again, I could breathe fire. I hope no one above or below me is home, because every time I pick her up or put her down, I yell like I'm being crucified. I finally got her changed and then threatened some more before shutting the door and falling back into bed. Everyone sounds like they are asleep at this point, so let's hope it stays that way for a very long time.
  • We made it to July and haven't turned on the AC yet! I feel like I should receive some sort of reward for this. Although, to be honest, it hasn't been miserably hot here yet. The fans we have seem to provide enough airflow and the kids can walk around the house mostly naked the majority of the time we're home. While talking with Steve last night, I realized that this country is rubbing off on me more than I thought. With central air, we were paying to air condition rooms that no one was occupying. Bedrooms that no one was sleeping in, a dining room that no one was eating in, and a living room that no one was living in. The more I thought about it, the crazier it seemed to me. I'm not saying anyone is crazy for having central AC (for sure, you are not crazy AT ALL), but it does seem mind-boggling to me now to cool a room that no one is in, all day and all night long. I am much more aware of when we turn on an AC unit and for how long it runs than I was before we moved here. I am also realizing how much I used to take a normal air-conditioned house for granted.
  • I do have a sad air-conditioning-related update- today I made the decision to pull the kids out of preschool for the summer. *sob* I know. I have a year-round preschool and am not even utilizing it year-round. Please know that this is killing part of my soul too. I have noticed that the past few times I've picked the kids up, they seem to be sweaty, despite it not being all that hot outside. Inside the building, it's so stuffy and hot and they aren't running their AC units. I texted the owner this morning about it. (She speaks limited English, but seems to understand better through texting versus talking face-to-face.) Our conversation went like this:
    • Me: Hi Ms. Kim! I was wondering if the air conditioning will be on at school today? Sam and Molly get overheated easily now that it's summertime and in the upper 80s.
    • Ms. Kim: Okay. Be conditioned. Thank you.
    • Me: (not understanding)
    • Ms. Kim: I will keep the average temperature. All children are different conditions to control the temperature of the teacher.
    • Me: I think I might keep them home for July and August and start them back in September. Would that be ok?
    • Ms. Kim: Okay! Come to us and when the time.
    • Me: Thank you!
    • Ms. Kim: Health maintenance in the hot summer, and he's fine. Thank you.
  • So to recap, I don't know what the hell she's saying to me, so instead of pushing the subject and asking for more clarification (that I'd probably never get), I just pulled them out. Was I regretting that decision before 10am? You betcha! But I knew I'd have crazy out-of-control mom guilt if I picked them up in a stuffy building and saw them sweating again. See you in September, sanity!
  • In other sad news, our favorite kids cafe in town closed its doors. (cue my tears) The upside to this is that I got the #1 assistant's number and she is interested in babysitting. Holla! I'm going on a date this weekend to test the waters. I asked if she'd be interested in babysitting and she said, "I am interested, but I do not know the care of babies." I said, well it would just be Sam and Molly, not really a baby. (I guess the term "babysitting" threw her for a loop.) She said she wants to do it, so now I just gotta set the date and try to make the language barrier seem smaller than it really is. (All the prayers, please!)
  • Kelly (wth happened to your blog, Kelly? I wanna link to you!) gave me her recipe for pizza dough and not only was it easy to make (just like she promised!), but it was freaking AMAZING as well. I may or may not have made three pizzas last week... Can I just pretend I'm getting a jumpstart on my winter layer of blubber now?
  • I have Sam signed up to get a physical next Thursday, and then I will sign him up with CYSS so he can play soccer with all the other 3yo's this year. To say he is excited would be a gross understatement. I told him about it this morning and his reaction: "OH! SOCCER?! SOCCER?!?! I'm gonna KICK da ball! KICK! And I'm gonna pway soccer! And baseball! And football! And pushups!" Unfortunately, he doesn't understand that we are not going to a soccer game today, right this very minute. "The future" is a very hard concept for him to grasp right now.
  • Molly is so obsessed with Aggie's "Beebee Thee-Thee!" that she talks about her nonstop. If I mention going anywhere, she is asking if Baby Cece will be in attendance. Apparently Molly's love for babies is expanding, because I turned away for a moment while at a kids cafe the other day, and when I looked back at her, she had a Korean baby's head in her hands, and was giving him a nice open-mouth kiss. The poor child, obviously petrified, started wailing. I attempted to explain via sign language and slow English (idk why I think that is helpful) that Molly was just trying to kiss, I'm sorry, we are working on proper affection, etc. The mom found it hilarious and soothed the baby with chips. I'm glad I'm not alone in that. At another kids cafe, Molly was following a Korean boy on a little scooter and.... he was terrified of her. Like, pushing the scooter as fast as his little legs would go, and Molly was just waddle-running behind him, giggling and chasing. He finally reached his mother (SAFETY!) and she and her friends were dying laughing that he was so scared of her. The owner thought I would be offended and said something to me like, "He is so tired and sad." But I just said, "He is scared of her red hair, huh? LOL" My friend and I couldn't stop laughing. Sheer terror in that child's eyes. I'll admit that I fear her red hair sometimes too. Every strand of that gorgeous hair is costing me in sanity. Very dearly too, I might add.
  • I forget how to end these bullet posts. So.... The End.

11 comments :

  1. I feel like I should burn a candle for you or sacrifice a bottle of wine or something. No summer preschool... so, so sorry. Walden will be out of school for a month and I'm already freaking out about it, though we'll be traveling and will have grandparents to distract him with. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for not having to turn on the AC yet, it has been so ridiculously hot here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh, you are such a GOOD mama, choosing the kid's health over your sanity! Even without the pictures, this was a great post. I love hearing about your zany madcap Korean adventures! They should make a sitcom of your family in Korea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it super expensive to run the AC over there? Sucks about having to take the little guys out of daycare. Hopefully you can go on some fun family adventures and not lose your sanity. Only 2 more months until September!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to start blogging in bullet points. Instead of just, not blogging. Your bullet point posts are my favorite in the history of infinity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this country is afraid of getting cold because you can catch a sickness or something...? Because it's hot and people are still wearing pants and jackets. Like, I'm practically walking around naked... what the heck? I have also not turned on our A/C because I am too cheap, and it is only in one corner of our living room pointed at the couch. Useless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lizzie is also obsessed with babies. I have to watch her because she will run up and try and pick up other people's babies. :/
    Yea for not using the air. I can't live without air, but then I live in the south and it's hotter than heck down here.
    I hope your back feels better soon! It's never fun when mommy is hurting. :( Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh I hear ya!! The kids have been out of preschool/parent's day out since MARCH! I told Brian that September is certainly too far away because I have been with these children with very little breaks! Ahhhh! I looked up sitters yesterday and will continue today. Sending lots of sanity your way! I'm so sorry about your back! There's nothing worse than when mommy is down for the count. It should be illegal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope your back is feeling better!! What a good mommy you are for pulling them because of heat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That convo with the language barrier made my head hurt. Hardcore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, you should snap a video of little Korean kids running from Molly! So funny! I hope your back is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs