Questions for you, a recap of how Sam's been shafted on Christmas his entire life, and some Alabama news

11.22.2013

  • A few of you commented on my fancy new blog design and I am here to tell you that it's allllllllll thanks to Miss Eliza. Secondary thanks go to her creativity and patience because I doubt that I am easy to work with. I mean, just ask my co-workers and they will whine at you and make sad faces and tell you I don't make jelly sandwiches fast enough. (I don't.) Luckily Eliza wasn't relying on me to make her lunch and she worked with the weird time difference and made my blog look much more.... me. I feel like I have ARRIVED in this blogging world. Hello everyone!
  • I am seeing all these holiday gift guides pop up everywhere but none of them are helping me because they don't tell me exactly what I should get Sam for Christmas. This poor child. His first Christmas was not blogged because, well, I didn't have a blog. But I will just tell you that I don't think he got any presents for his first Christmas. I'm sure his grandparents gave him something awesome, but a well thought out, brain-stimulating baby gift from me, he did not receive. His second Christmas, he got a pillow. Well, it was technically a pillow PET and he still sleeps with it to this day (and the pictures of him cuddling it that Christmas make me tell my ovaries (very loudly) to hush). Last Christmas, Steve was deployed, Sam still didn't really "get" Christmas, and he got a potty. A potty that he still doesn't really even use unless he wants a sucker and has four drops of pee to spare. So basically he's gotten the shaft on Christmas gifts since the beginning of (his) time. We are still holding fast to our three-gift-rule ("if it's good enough for baby Jesus, it's good enough for me," say it with me everybody!) and so that means that both sets of grandparents get to give him a gift and Steve and I get to give him a gift. Extra free space is not a luxury we currently have, so we can't have anything too big. If you have any ideas for someone whose interests change daily, please holler at your girl. Things take forever to ship here so I need to order said gift yesterday.
  • Where can I get a pair of leggings that are made for a normal chubby person? Leggings that are fleece-lined, not from Target, don't sag when you bend over, can be worn with a big sweater, and don't give me horrific muffintop. I see everyone wearing leggings and I want to just shake them and ask where they came from! Except I don't know any Korean so that might not come across the right way, and I haven't done that yet. Just asking YOU, Internet, to see if you have found a hidden gem somewhere that I need to know about! Link me, please and thank you so much.
  • Am I the only person who hadn't seen this yet? I just watched it for the first time last night. If I hadn't been exposed to local Alabama news channels my entire life, I would think it was some sort of spoof. In reality, just another day in LA.
  • Steve has staff duty today because the sun might be snuffed out if he ever had it on a day that didn't end in Saturday. Who's good side do you have to be on to get a weekday staff duty spot? Saturday staff duty eats up Friday night (gotta go to bed early so he can get up early), Saturday is a bust for obvious reasons, and Sunday is spent recovering due to the whole no-sleep-on-Saturday-night thing. So it's business as usual around here this weekend. Laundry, cleaning, some Baby Einstein videos, some "chekkin' my's emails", and reading some books. Lord only knows what they'll eat for dinner tonight since the nuggets are low and the hot dogs are gone. Time to start praying for a fish-sticks-and-the-loaves type of miracle! (because we're low on bread too)

I chekkin' my's emails and pitchurs.

Up. To. No. Good.


18 comments :

  1. I love the new blog, looking good! Oh my dear Lord, you were not the last to see that video...I was and I must say, I might not even need coffee this morning, might... I cannot wait to get one of these for my monkey, maybe Sam will like it http://www.amazon.com/Little-Partners-Learning-Tower-Natural/dp/B001ECHXVC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385210939&sr=8-1&keywords=learning+stool

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the new bloggy look.
    DAMN STAFF DUTY! David had it last week (his first week back to work after the conleave with the fractured tailbone) and has it again the day after Thanksgiving and will basically get it all the time until he comes off the profile for his bum.

    As far as Christmas shopping goes, since he's so young still honestly like coloring books, finger paints, play dough, puzzles, etc etc. I know it sounds lame but that's the kind of stuff that entertains kids for HOURS and he's at such a hard age to shop for, trust me, I REMEMBER WHEN THEY WERE THAT AGE!!

    Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Battat-68026AM-Take-Apart-Crane/dp/B000N5RT4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385215213&sr=8-1&keywords=take+apart+toys

    Or

    http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-Scribble-and-Write-Tablet/dp/B00DCWM1IM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1385215240&sr=8-8&keywords=leap+frog

    Maddie has one of those and really likes it. she gets bored with it now but she's 5.

    Keep it simple dude, don't over think it. I'm sure he'd be happy with a car and a ball in all honesty.

    And I laughed a LOT at that video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Korea is really cold but the thought of fleece lined leggings makes me all sweaty and feeling like I need to shower. But if I ever run across any I will be sure to link you up immediately. And as for Christmas presents, I am still pursuing the dollar spot at target because they are young and don't know any different and we have many years ahead of gifts that cost more than $1 so why push the envelope now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly found my fav pair of leggings at DSW. They were loose enough to prevent muffin top, but tight enough to actually stay up. Now I am rocking maternity leggings and I am sad that they will have to go in a few months. Billy has never had staff duty, but he did get the awesome courtesy patrol hand...the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving. The biggest drinking day of the year and he has to stand outside of a bar babysitting soldiers. Who chooses these terrible assignments?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We saw the video when we lived in alabama. I also this Tosh.O did a thing on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flippin cuties!! I can't help you with the baby things, because, well I don't have babies (for a darn good reason) and therefore am bad at knowing what they like. But I do know they like boxes so just order some stuff and give him the box. DONE! I do like the Jesus gift ideas though, very wise!

    But as for the leggings thing, JCPenney. And I think they'll ship to APO and if not ship them to your house and have the parents send them. I have had their Decree leggings foreverrrr. Like 2 straight years of constant wearing and they only just started to get little holes and I bought more. They are relatively thick so you won't see anything through them, they stretch nicely, and they're warm (but not fleece lined, sorry!) Best yet, they're only like $10, cheaper if on sale. I wear a size 8 in jeans and grab a large in the leggings just to be safe, and they cover very well!! Give them a shot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't feel bad about the Christmas thing. I always used the presents that family mailed us for the kids. Besides that I would buy them like 2 things. They don't need all that stuff and why spend the money? This is the first year that I feel obligated to get my kids things. My 8 year old is still only getting 2 things besides stocking stuffers (one thing is a $75 video game).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg! I love the pic of Molly!!!! Lizzie gets the same face when she's about to do something I told her not to!
    I bought leggings from New York and Co and they fit great and no muffin top.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm seriously obsessed with the new blog look! Also that picture of Molly! Her hair is to die for and your kids are just the cutest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do NOT like Target leggings. They are made for slender munchkins (or 13 year old girls, but I don't like that analogy, because I was pretty pudgy as a 13 year old so it doesn't make sense to me).
    I like Old Navy's…my favorite are Cascade brand from Fred Meyer. It's like a generic workout brand, but I just ran a race with them on (under a pair of shorts) and they didn't didn't give me any issues. JCPenney's, Kohl's Simply Vera brand, and I just got some Hanes ones from Wal-Mart that I like.
    Scott only ever had staff duty on weekends. In Alaska, that meant he got to go in the staff duty van to downtown Anchorage and pick up drunk soldiers. That's what they made staff duty do up there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. iPad or iPad mini...the gift that is new and exciting everyday! Millions of apps most educational...Sebastian loves his, he's doing puzzles on it, reading books, playing games, watching movies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The blog looks great!

    I love that you have a practical approach to giving Christmas gifts at such a young age. It gives my kidless self hope that I don't have to go overboard at the holidays just because others might. I won't be alone! Of course, I am the worst person to be giving you any child present advice (because seriously, I have no concept of what age children play with what toys…it's embarrassing) but how about a new six pack of those mini cereal boxes you had talked about. Practical. Not large….and they can disappear if they make too much clutter.
    Or, does that suggestion make me fall into the potential worst parent at Christmas category?

    The only fleece lined leggings that I have been able to find were at Target. Is there a particular reason you are not interested in the Target leggings?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the new blog look! And I've got a similar Christmas gift dilemma going on. Logically I know he's going to get a ton of gifts (it's no use stopping these people, I've tried) but I irrationally feel like if I don't get him something he's going to grow up and ask me what I got him for his second Christmas and I'll have to lie and I'm a horrible liar so he'll know I was lying and then he'll be scarred for life. And people wonder why I drink!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're getting good with your camera!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the new look! I can honestly say we are done with kiddos' Christmas shopping because Wil made it VERY easy this year he has been talking about Chuggington stack tracks for 3 months now so he is asking Santa for that and I think Santa can handle that item, Harper is "asking" Santa for the Fisher Price Happy Sounds Doll house which I'm sure he can deliver those 2 items come Christmas Eve and his little helper *ahem* me will put them together for him. Then from us the Wil is getting the Leapfrog scribble & write from Mama & Daddy, a movie from Daddy, a book from Harper & 2 trains to go with his Santa gift from all three of us and whatever I decided to make/get finished by Christmas from me. Harper is getting stuffed Rapunzel doll & Maximus ( horse from Tangled) from Mama & Daddy, book from Wil, movie from daddy, Tangled little doll playset, and whatever I decided/get finished from me - I'm thinking crochet jewelry/dress up items. I tried not too go all out and I think we did pretty good :)
    Uh that picture of Molly is just so darn cute! Oh if you find good leggings please do share!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maybe he'd like blocks? If he's into them, there are also puzzles that spell his name. Fun and educational. He'd never know what hit him. O you could get him a toothbrush and call it a day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are taking the cheap route for Christmas this year. Jarrod and I have DS's that we've had forever and just sit in a closet. So the man in red is bringing them to our kids. And we'll buy them each one preschool-ish game to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like that 3 present rule. We should start doing that. Because seriously.

    And your blog looks fab!

    ReplyDelete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs