I wish I could blame my blogging absence on winning the Powerball

12.05.2012

So, as you can tell from my Thanksgiving recap, I ate stuffing until I was stuffed (haaarrrrrrr), realized once again that my mother is a living saint for transporting us there and back (she even concluded each trip with something authentically cheery like, "That wasn't so bad!" Are you kidding me were we even in the same car crazy person), and vowed never to go back again (until Christmas).

Oh wait. Did you miss my Thanksgiving recap? That could be because I only wrote and published it in my head. But take my word for it, it was hilarious. And full of beautifully-staged pictures of food and family who wore something besides stretchy pants to the big dinner. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.

Moving on!

We are now in December, in case any of you out there don't own a calendar. (And if you don't, holler, because I saw some in the dollar section at Target, and I always need a valid reason to go to Target. Your not owning a calendar sounds quite valid to me.) Despite the fact that I want nothing more than to boycott every holiday until my honey comes back, I felt it was a bit selfish of me to deprive my children of the wonder of Christmas just because I'm feeling all Scrooge-like. So even though I mailed my Christmas cheer to Afghanistan this past week (along with Christmas gifts that can hardly be considered gifts, save for the festive wrapping paper), I decided I would make up an Advent activities calendar. For the kids. In order to get Steve involved in this grand plan, I made up the calendar sometime in November. (Let's all take a moment and stand in shock and awe at my ability to think ahead this year. It's probably a one-time thing, so let's recognize it appropriately. With a Reeses.) I wrote out all of the activities on little heart-shaped pieces of Christmas wrapping paper and folded them up into little self-made envelopes, labeled them with cute red and green numbers and polka dots, and then mailed them off to Steve. A man who cares nothing about cute and/or cute details. Anyways, Steve then records himself reading each calendar activity and emails me a video each day of himself talking about said activity. I make a big deal of opening up the computer in the morning and letting Sam and Molly (and Odie) listen to what Steve has to say. It's really sweet to watch. Steve is kind of hilarious since he doesn't seem to know what to add to my one-liner about what we're doing that day. Sam only wants to watch it 8 billion times because Daddy's on there talking to him. And Molly just wants to EAT THE KEYBOARD RIGHT NOW GIVE IT TO ME. So while this Advent calendar thing is a HELLUVA lotta self-imposed work for me, and even though the kids don't really get it all just yet, I do think it's a good thing. For all of us. I will try my best to post a weekly recap of what we did and obviously I photo-document most of it on Instagram. (jmr0006)

Welp friends, naptime has apparently come to an end, what with the not-so-subtle summons I am receiving from the upper floor here. Only four hours to bedtime! Huzzah!

15 comments :

  1. That is such a great idea! And sounds like it's funny. Like everything else you do. You can make the most intense, crappy situation sound fun and hilarious. It's your special gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that idea for Advent! So, so sweet. And in return, you know we're going to need to see pictures of Molly eating the keyboard now, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get to spend the afternoon with you AND read one of your fab blog posts?! To quote Honest Toddler, "Best day ever." Glad you're back! (letstrytokeepitup, shall we?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats a great idea! And don't feel bad about not blogging... you know how I said I was "back for good"? Well, that didn't happen. Damn, grad school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't feel bad, I have several holiday recaps that haven't happened. And I don't have a deployed husband so there is really no excuse. But the advent calendar is awesome! I'm lame and just buy the Lego one... I have all the supplies to make one, but haven't gotten around to it for the past 3 years. If only we were close, then we can bask in the glow of our good intentions together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh! That is so sweet!! Do you guys have United Thtough Reading where hubs is? The kids might get a kick out of that too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. awwww! What a great idea! I was all scrooge-like last year, so I know how you are feeling.
    Isn't it amazing how our parents keep telling us our children aren't that bad.....I sometimes think my mom is looking at different kids. :)
    Hey, another great thing for kids to help with a deployment is OpKidComfort. They create quilts with pictures of the child and deployed person. They turn out really cute. I bet Sam would love one :) Just wanted to throw that out there.
    Thinking of you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I admit I haven't been visiting blogs like I use to but trying to get back too it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're the bomb.com, for real. I think you're kicking this deployment's butt while taking care of two small children simultaneously AND getting creative in their activities and Christmas cheer by creating an advent calendar. Seriously, you're the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so cute and creative. I love it! And agree with everything Mrs K said above, perfectly put.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So I'd have to say since you've been so Mia from your blog space that in one way or another you are kicking deployment booty. Which three cheers and more power to you girlfriend.

    I love the advent calendar idea and that Steve can be involved.

    P.S. totally was this . . Close to looking for your thanksgiving post! Thought I missed something..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I pigged out on Thanksgiving too. And Target is the best. I'm there like every week. Sometimes TWICE a week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. missed you! love advent... i think becasue we don't really give christmas presents, advent activities make up for it.. praying for you this season. i can't imagine. lots of love and {{{HUGS}}} from cali!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I quit actually writing things in my blog indefinitely, but I'm still excited to stalk other people's lives so keep it up! I'm very impressed with the Advent calendar. I'm not creative enough to think of such a thing!

    ReplyDelete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs