(Let's be real- Sam is the only one reacting. Molly just does her incredible lunge towards the lit screen that's juuuuuuust out of her reach. Odie stares at the screen and tries to will Steve home with her most pitiful stare. Seriously. I feel bad for her for approximately three and a half seconds... until I catch a whiff of her fart and then I'm ready to kick her out the back door.)
Day One:
The Clarksville Christmas Parade. Behold.
![]() |
| (top to bottom) 1) Sarah explains the finer points of the parade to Sam (confined to a stroller for obvious reasons). 2) A float with a giant roll of toilet paper attached. Hrm. 3) A rare photo where Sam smiled on-demand, even though there is a random finger is in his mouth. Whatever. I'll take it. 4) Molly being all-around awesome. 5) Obligatory blurry family photo. Molly wedged her arms in there to appear smushed and neglected. Sam apparently needs snacks at all times, lest his blood sugar dip the slightest bit and he becomes a raging lunatic. |
Day Two:
Set up the nativity scene.
![]() |
| I'm pretty sure it's in their contract somewhere to never look at the camera simultaneously. And didn't you know that Christmas storage tubs make the best backdrops? |
| I never thought the day would come where I would seriously shout, "Do NOT put Baby Jesus in your mouth again. I'm not kidding." |
Decorate the Christmas tree.
Obviously we did not go with a real tree this year. Please refer back to the pine needles and barf that I had to clean up last year. I'm not doing that again, alone. So a felt tree it is! I remembered this activity the night before and might have cursed up a holy storm while cutting the tree out on my hands and knees about felt's amazing ability to magnetize every last piece of dog hair within a 57 mile radius of itself. I surprisingly bought command strips well in advance and smugly opened the packaging expecting it to just *click* right up on my wall like that stupid lady does in the commercials with all of her pictures and decorations. (Indecisive much, lady?) But apparently I'm an idiot and threw in the towel approximately 14 seconds after opening and just went with what I knew- duck tape. And I'm happy to report that it's still holding strong. ("It'll fix anything, Cletus.")
Day Four:
Make an ornament.
| The set-up. Molly helped me make and bake the ornaments while Sam was napping. Sam "helped" me "paint" them while Molly was napping. |
| And who wastes time with a third party (the paintbrush) anymore? Just smush that thing around directly in the paint. It'll get the job done. |
Day Five:
Make hot chocolate.
| Yeah we made "fake" hot chocolate. So what? |
| I drank out of this when I was a wee tot. (Little hands just can't have any patience for Mommy to photograph these things for |
| A little excited. Spilled most of it. |
| This worked out much better. Except for that whole part where I have to bend over and hold it for him the entire time. |
Day Six:
Go to the Division Tree Lighting and open gifts from St. Nick.
| Someone woke up fighting mad from his nap, so we lucked out and had Sarah's company (and extra arms) to wrangle his beastly attitude. We also met up with Stephanie and her cute family. |
| They couldn't tear their eyes off of the tree. |
It was a bit different from last year's tree lighting, (um, last year it was actually cold, and SNOWING) but I still enjoyed getting to hang out with friends and doing something Christmas-y. Afterwards, we enjoyed a dinner with the lovely Sarah INSIDE Chick-fil-A. (We don't go inside anywhere. Ever. Everrrrrrrrrr.)
| Molly was allowed to sample her first waffle fry (to stop the whining). I'd say she enjoyed it. And then threw it on the floor. |
| Sam snaps out of his funk more easily when Sarah is around. Obviously. |
After dinner (and a SUPER WHINY drive home), I gave the kids their gifts from St. Nick.
| Molly wasted no time opening hers. Sam is doing this new thing now where he puts his entire hand inside his mouth just to drive me bonkers. He refused to continue opening his present. |
In the past (meaning: last year), I thought it was a cute idea to give new Christmas pajamas on Christmas Eve. But then I only get to see them in Christmas cuteness for a night (during the Christmas season- we don't discriminate when it comes to wearing pajamas out of season around here). So I switched it up and decided that that will be their gift from St. Nick. And I'm so glad I did.
| Look at the cute I get to stare at all month!!! |
Day Seven:
Bake sugar cookies.
Not gonna lie. In my head, this was going to be grander. But as I stood in the commissary (the day of this activity oops), I realized that this doesn't need to be hard on me. If I made special egg-free, gluten-free sugar cookies for Sam, he probably wouldn't even touch them. (This is based on the reoccuring trend where I make the god-awful "special" food and he promptly decides he's never going to eat something so vile. Don't blame him, I wouldn't either.) And then I went to all that trouble for nothing. And I hate baking cookies. And I hate cookie cutters. And I hate washing that entire mess. So that is how we arrived at this.
| Best. decision. ever. |
| See? He didn't even care that I didn't make them from scratch. He loves to stack. That would have been one massive cookie. Also, seriously, who bakes with clothes on anymore. |
| And voila. He didn't get to eat any (eggs.... ugh), but he had some of his own special cookies and didn't seem to care too much about the sugar cookies. |
So there you have it. Week One of Advent activities: complete. Until next week, friends...



At least you got through it with humor. I give you props for doing all those activities with the two little ones. I loved reading week one and look forward to more.
ReplyDeleteThis is so cute! I love your darling babies :)
ReplyDeleteLook at all the Christmas fun :) I have been slack with Christmas festivities oh well.
ReplyDeleteYou have the cutest kids ever. EVER! We MUST get together soon and I know I say that often but we really need to make it happen!
ReplyDeleteThose pictures are adorable! I had no clue that the Christmas parade was going on since it was my first day in town and I was just trying to get to Blackhorse. I wish I saw the toilet paper float during my brief parade watching! Also, for the record, command hooks are all lies!
ReplyDeleteLOVE this idea! So cute!!!!
ReplyDeleteWOW!!! Go mama! you are one ambitious woman! And your little ones are too cute for words!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great week! I love the felt tree!
ReplyDeleteAwwwww!!!! Those are soo cute!!! What a great idea! I love the Christmas PJs! We wear ours all year round too. :) You are an amazing mommy!!!!
ReplyDeleteI am completely in love with this entire post!! You are doing a fantastic job! I can't wait to see more. Next year, I'm totally following in your footsteps. Where did you get the nativity scene?
ReplyDeleteYou.are.awesome.
ReplyDeleteyou are totally a fun mom! I love your advent activities!!!
ReplyDeleteOH my gosh Molly is so freaking cute. I just want to squeeze her cuteness. And Sam.. he's a genius. Why use a paint brush? I mean really. These activities sound so freaking fun! I'll say it again... I'm so glad this deployment is going for you. As in you are doing it and making it work and doing 7 days of activities. Go you. You are my hero.
ReplyDeleteI love the nativity set...we have a glass one (really not appropriate with a 14 month old) and I am constantly telling Sebastian to "put Baby Jesus back!" Baby Jesus is just so tempting...him and the sheep are easy targets! Your so good to do a different activities each day...the only Christmas routine we have is opening the day on the advent calendar and Sebastian eating his piece of Chocolate (which has become quite a cute tradition).
ReplyDeleteI've said it before and I'll say it again: SUPERWOMAN!
ReplyDeleteOn a different note, Stephanie and I emailed about Molly's cuteness today. Totally not weird for blog friends to talk about your baby behind your back. Not weird at all.
Blogger needs to find someway to comment multiple times throughout a post so I can make notations as I read through.
ReplyDeleteIn short though, I love this post and the fact that Sam managed to whap himself with the paintbrush multiple times... I sadly know exactly how it feels (though I am equally mystified as to HOW I manage to do that to myself). Truly, I always end up with paint on my face/in my hair.
And Molly keeps getting cuter. It's killing me and my ovaries won't stop screaming at me as a result. Gah!
super cute days! They look like loads of fun and smiles!
ReplyDelete-wHiT
Wow mama, you're doing so so great!! You've done waaaay more with your littles in the past week than I have in the past month with mine. Great pictures, and your kids are TOO CUTE. Seriously. The cuteness is just too much. And crafts with toddlers is the worst fucking thing in the world. Sorry for f-bombing your comments ;)
ReplyDeleteYou must stop showing off! You have more energy and will than I ever care to have! You tackle this staff duty thing with full force!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE Molly's legs in those pink leg warmers! SO CUTE!
ReplyDelete