Why are 6 people scheduled for the same 2:45 appointment??

6.23.2011

Yesterday I took Sam to an allergist to see if he could shed some light on his eczema issues and why he's constantly in Break-Out Mode. The night before I was sweating it out (out loud, of course), "What if he's allergic to peanuts?! Or wheat?! Or milk?!" Steve told me I was overreacting, he might not be allergic to anything, least of all, peanuts, so no sense in thinking about it now. I'm sure you all know that didn't help me sleep any better.

So we went to the doctor and waited in his Very Boring Waiting Room while I tried to fill out a book's worth of paperwork and simultaneously watch Sam to make sure he didn't free-fall face first off of the chair or lick the seat or tear apart the Mechanics Daily magazine. So that was difficult. And the sheet to fill out was SO CONFUSING. Maybe I'm an idiot, but halfway through, I wasn't sure if the information I was filling in was supposed to be MY info or Sam's. It started out with all of Sam's information but then.. Married? Spouse's info? Work phone number? Ummmm.. I just wrote "N/A" for a lot of it and the nurse didn't say anything else to me so I left it at that. I'm sure they're all having a fun talk about us today. "Look at the way this idiot filled out her paperwork! OMG! Let's make her wait AT LEAST an hour by herself in that tiny waiting room as punishment for being so dumb."

And since we're on the issue of STUPIDITY, while I was signing in and writing down my appointment time, I looked up and noticed that five other people had written down that they too were scheduled for a 2:45 appointment with the exact same doctor. Really? Did they honestly think that five out of the six of us were going to magically forget about this appointment? Not show up? Back out? Really? And we wonder why the doctor is "running a little behind." Yep.

Oh! And while waiting in the tiny waiting room by ourselves, I blew their minds. I opened my door back up. They looked at me like I was Rosa Parks. We were seen shortly after, and I think it's because they saw actual PEOPLE in there, WAITING on them! To be fair, I wasn't just standing in the doorway giving folks the evil eye, I needed a new distraction for Sam. He had already ripped all of the sanitation paper to shreds and pooped a diaper and drank all of his milk so we had to think on our feet.


They checked his weight before we went into this tiny, boring room. And wouldn't you know that they didn't have a baby scale! Imagine that! A pediatrics office without a baby scale. Hmm. The nurse looked at the scale and looked at me, looked at the scale and looked at Sam. Then she said, "Well, I think the only thing we can do is to weigh you holding him and then weigh you without him." Oh, AWESOME. She told me to just leave the diaper bag on for both weighs, but HELL NO am I adding (at least) ten extra pounds to that number. So she got an accurate weight, and I can't say that it was much better without the diaper bag on, but I have almost no shame at this point anyway. So what if a few random people know my weight now? And those kids heard it too? No biggie. But no need to announce it down the hallway SHUT UP WOMAN!!

After waiting a virtual eternity in the tiny waiting room with someone who desperately needed a nap (me), the doctor finally came in and checked Sam out. He told us the same things that I've been hearing since Day One. He gave us a few new prescriptions to try in order to clear up his current eczema flareups, and after that goes away, he will do some food testing.

I guess I have plenty of time to worry about peanut and wheat allergies. But I don't have NEAR enough time to make my scale reading lower before my next weigh-in.

3 comments :

  1. lol sounds like a very exciting afternoon! I hate Doctor's offices...they definitely believe that the whole world revolves around their schedule...I am going to by doctor today for another check-up, yay!

    I hope everything turns out well for Sam. Nowadays, allergies are very managable. My brother in law is allergic to EVERYTHING but he just takes claritin and he is all cleared up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a long afternoon at the doctor :(

    Sammy is too cute sitting on the exam table tearing that paper apart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just noticed your list of 101 in 1001. I think it doesn't show up in a sidebar on my phone... is that 1001 days? I can help with number 87!! I wanna do 99, too. 100 is not a bad idea either. haha

    So this is pretty crazy. I think I would have felt like walking out when I signed in next to 5 other people with the same appointment! But then I would remember that all docs probably do this and walk right back inside because I'm already there...

    I hope you figure something out that helps him! His little baby hair is getting so thick! I miss that kid, need to see you soon! How about the second weekend in July? ;)

    Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs