I've been debating for a while about what to do for Steve or what to get him for Fathers' Day. He's hard enough to buy for on Christmas and his birthday, but throw in another gift-giving occasion? I'm pullin' my hair out over here. So far he's requested new underwear (I consider that a necessity more than a gift, and after noticing the condition of Steve's underwear, a DIRE NEED) and sunglasses he already got. Neither of those are "it" and nothing sounds like enough for the man who hangs the moon for Sam and me. I don't think I can ever fully express my love or gratitude to him for what he's done and continues to do for us.
I tried mowing the lawn for him before he got home from work on Friday (I used precious nap time! It was HOT! I used more nap time for a shower! Did I mention how hot it was?), but I don't think that was met with enough enthusiasm to be considered a true gift. Nice gesture? Yes. Gift? No.
I bought him a new Polish pottery casserole dish! Hmm, the dish itself might be more of a gift to me, but the food I prepare IN it is for him! ... Nah, not really a valid gift.
I cooked breakfast. Wait, that's part of my job description. I probably can't classify that as a gift either.
I organized and cleaned out our closet! That's a gift, right? I think it probably makes me feel better than it makes him feel, but I know he likes things neat and organized too. Still, organizing a closet, cutting the grass, cooking meals. That stuff seems so everyday. I feel like mountains should move or angel choirs should start singing or he should get a new truck in order for him to know how much he's appreciated.
Lucky for me, Steve is the kind of guy who doesn't need all of those things to be happy or to know he's special and loved.
We spent some time this morning looking at photos from way back when Sam first made him a Dad.
 |
| Love at first sight |
 |
| Not so much when it came to that first diaper.. |
 |
| But he came out on the other side just fine |
Nothing has been the same since. I've watched the love of my life turn into the father of my child and never miss a beat.
Well, I ended up making him a collage of Sammy and Steve pictures in a frame for his desk at work. I also got him some new undies. And since the grill at our house is officially ka-put (NOT COOL during prime summer grilling time!), there was a coupon for him to pick out a new grill.
Happy Fathers' Day Steve! You're the best!! I love you!!!
Disclaimer: I can officially set Best Dad Standards because I had the BEST DAD growing up. Love you Dad!!!
I hope Steve had a great Father's Day!
ReplyDeleteYou sound like me trying to figure out what to do for Anthony!
It sounds like you found the perfect gift!
ReplyDeleteI have the same problem with Jonathan...what do you get a man who wants nothing? It takes some REAL imagination to find a gift for him. For his birthday last week I ended up buying a plane ticket for his friend from the Marines to come visit him :) We have to get creative, lol.
I love the older pictures of Sam...they are so cute when they are newborns :)
You are such a good wife and it sounds like you have such a happy family! I am so glad we are long distance friends but I secretly hope one day we find ourselves in the same city :)
ReplyDelete