Don't forget

5.06.2011

Mothers' Day is Sunday!! As in, THIS SUNDAY HURRY UP AND GET YOUR MAMA SOMETHING!! I'm not sure why I'm screaming in all-caps because Steve doesn't even read our blog. Not to worry though, I've been dropping some MAD hints starting three weeks ago about Mothers' Day and how I'm a mother and all and no, I may not be YOUR mother personally, but I am Mother to YOUR CHILD, a child who can't burp very well on his own much less drive to the store and buy me flowers and a sweet card with nice sentiments written inside.

Cute though, isn't he?


We'll see if he remembers or if he wakes up early Sunday morning, realizes his fatal mistake, and makes the Early Morning Trip To Walmart to do the Walk Of Shame to the greeting card aisle with all of the other men who forgot what day it is.

I never gave a TON of thought to Mothers' Day before now, even though I was and am very thankful for my mother and all she's done for me throughout my life. I guess I could never imagine just how MUCH she had done for me until I had a little nugget of my own to care for. And now I know. Mothers' Day now holds a TON of significance as I have a whole new way of looking at my mother. I'm looking at her through Mama Eyes. My own Mama Eyes. And now I have the full-on right to say things like, "I've just got that Mama Feelin'," or, "If you don't stop that right now, I'm gonna snatch you bald-headed!" or, "Let me tell you about your birth... You see, it all started with 23 hours of labor..."

I also don't think so highly of my own birthday anymore. Before I was all, "Oh cake and presents for meeeee!!" but now I'm wondering why on earth Sam would get presents and cake for just surviving another year of life. (Although with us as first-time parents, it is definitely something to be celebrated with wonderment and awe.) I'm feeling that when Sam's birthday rolls around, someone should bake a cake for ME.
"Good job Jenn! A year ago today you worked and worked and worked some more to bring that giant watermelon of a baby into the world! You also shared your body and bodily resources with this (not-so) tiny person for nine months, rendering you the only designated driver for miles around. And since then you've endured months of sleepless nights (and days!), turning your own body into a virtual Dairy Queen, cleaning carrot-poo diapers that stretch from butt to neck, being drenched in stinky baby vomit, and crying over the silliest things, like teeth and diaper rash and the thought of sending the little person to kindergarten. Happy birthday to YOU."
Now that's more like it. I appreciate (times a THOUSAND) what my mother put up with and did for me when I was a helpless, needy, floppy (and possibly very annoying) infant. And not only that, but she did it all with another small person to care for! And then she had twins! Four children under four years old! (Insanity or courage?) Regardless, my hero. I can only dream of having the organizational skills and extreme PATIENCE (my GOD, the patience in that woman) that she possesses.

So... all of that to say, be thankful for your mother. She's done SO MUCH to make you who you are.


And now, a few funny quotes about mothers.

“A mother is a person who, seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.”
-Tenneva Jordan



"There never was a child so lovely, but his mother was glad to get him asleep."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



"It's not easy being a mother. If it were easy, fathers would do it."
-The Golden Girls


                                                                                   
"My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first being hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint.                                                                                               
-Erma Bombeck

2 comments :

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs