But apparently I look like I am! Definitely NOT a compliment, in my book... In my defense though, I was buying WIC-ish items--baby food, bananas, strawberries, bleach. I was also wearing one of Steve's shirts (aka "my new wardrobe"), no makeup, and crazy hair (the wind is wild today).
I'm obviously not too far-out looking to meet some of our neighbors though! Besides meeting one of Ronnie's owners, I met two ladies that live across the street. Desperate Housewives. And only one of them is actually married. Ahem.
I think we will be the type of neighbors that wave, but don't talk much (due to the small fact that I am still very much in love with my husband, don't smoke heavily - or at all actually - , and don't lust after alcoholic beverages at 930am, not that I would turn one down if it was offered to me, let me be clear, I just don't dream about bar-hopping that early in the day).
But a neighbor that I am interested in getting to know better is Jennifer! She has my name! And a baby! And a pug! And a bigger dog too because they thought the pug was lonely and needed another dog friend! Could our lives be any more similar?? (And no, it turns out that pugs don't get lonely, they are more than happy to soak up all of the attention on their own and yes, we both realized our mistakes AFTER we got the bigger dogs.)
Hank the Pug seems a lot like Odie - He even hopped in the stroller basket while we were talking because he was tired of standing around and walking already (they were probably two houses down from their house). The bigger dog (whose name we did not discuss because, hello, he's not a pug) reminds me of Marci - a bit crazy, lots more energy, actually excited to go on a walk, and slightly peeved that I stopped my car in the middle of the road to talk about the PUG and not him.
Other neighbors we've met have all been children since that is one thing that is more popular in this neighborhood than being military. A group of kids introduced us to Snooki the dog and a rat whose name I can't remember, but I actually HELD the thing in my hands (Ew). Steve later told me it was a hamster, but I didn't know that at the time, so I totally get credit for being willing to hold a rat. The kid told me (very seriously) that my baby seemed to like the rat so I should get him one. I said, "Oh yeah! Once he can take care of it, he can have one. I bet they poop a lot, huh?"
He said, "Well, in their cages, yeah. (<duh, Jenn>) But he doesn't poop in your hands anymore. He still pees in your hands sometimes though." And that was when I tossed the little hamster-rat back to his owner. Snooki was much cuter to pet anyways.
Another kid- Reggie- just walked up to Steve and asked him to fix his bike. He is quite handy, but come on, it's not like he carries a tool box on him.
Garret (another neighbor!) came and seeded our backyard the other day so that it wouldn't continue to muck up our backyard neighbor's lawn every single time it rains. He's quite interesting. He got a little sidetracked from aerating by talking about politics and military and lots of other stuff that went way over my head. But ultimately, he is trying to monopolize the lawn care business in our little slice of suburbia. We'd be crazy to let anyone else touch our lawn. There are a bunch of weirdos out there, ya know, trying to get at our lawns with their inexperienced hands and cheap seed and we need to go with the guy that lives down the street (Garret) and he will even give us the good-neighbor discount. So we're probably just going to buy a lawn mower at a yard sale and take care of it ourselves if, for no other reason, than to avoid weird political discussions with the grass guy. Thanks for the seed though! We really needed it!
Not much else is happening here. Oh yeah, Sam finally pooped after three days of holding it hostage in his body. I was starting to get a little worried. But he pooped three times yesterday (he averages one a day usually). He is also grabbing at the food Steve and I are eating but refusing anything offered to him on a spoon (I think he knows it's baby food, and therefore, pretty disgusting.) I dared Steve to eat some of Sam's baby food but was then informed that people with upset tummies (aka MY HUSBAND) eat baby food like it's nothing because it won't upset their stomachs, something I've never heard of normal grown people doing (because it makes sense to just eat a sleeve of saltines if you're feeling queasy), so that really took all the fun out of the dare. So no one's eating baby food except Sam, and even he is refusing it.
Our new bed is coming tomorrow!! (<Screams, yells, and dances around>) I've been dreaming of this bed for some time now since our bed is very cheap and spring-y and my mother-in-law pointed out that the springs are actually PROTRUDING OUT OF THE BED, and yes, this is the same mattress I slept on during pregnancy months one through NINE and I dreamed about our new bed harder than ever during that time. We said that once we PCSed somewhere we would get the new bed. And don't you know that after arriving and getting all of our junk (including said old, springy, cheap bed) off of the truck, Steve and I hightailed it over to the bed store and ordered that new mattress!! And it's finally coming tomorrow afternoon between noon and four!! I fully expect to spend all of my afternoon and evening lying in every position possible on the bed, putting our new clean sheets on it, and kissing it until I fall asleep. I also plan to sleep through any crying Sammy puts out tomorrow night and I have let him know that in no uncertain terms. We are all prepared to get a solid 8-9 hours of sleep. Amen.
And even though this picture does not tie into the post, I will put it here anyways because that's all anyone truly wants to see here, am I right? The writing is for me, the pictures are for you. Enjoy.
So excited for you about the new bed! Sounds like you guys have all sorts of fun characters in the new neighborhood :) great for people watching haha
ReplyDelete