One morning before school, Sam was standing next to me talking about how wiggly his tooth was. I looked briefly, just to get a handle on the timeline of this situation and saw his adult tooth popping through behind. Completely nauseous from the sight, I texted Steve. He told me that it would come out when it was ready. I began to text back that if I had to assist I was going to barf all over both of us, but before I could even hit send, I heard a plink on the floor.
I turned to Sam and asked what he dropped. He bent down a picked up a piece of a Cheerio (the size of a tooth) and exclaimed, "Ahh! This is what was bothering my tooth so much!"
This might have been plausible had it not been for the fact that Sam hadn't eaten breakfast, and also he no longer had a tooth in his mouth! I said, "Sam! Your tooth! It's gone! Did it seriously just fall out?! OMG!! I was JUST telling your dad about this!! We gotta find it!"
So we were all on the floor with the flashlight under the couch, searching through the (seemingly dozens of) discarded Cheerios pieces to find the tooth. Finally found it and immediately facetimed Steve to show him.
Sam was SO PROUD. And could there be a more perfect way to lose a first tooth?! With Molly as his witness, this was the most calm, gentle tooth loss one could hope for. So hopefully the precedent is now set- wiggly teeth are nothing to worry about or be scared of. Just don't involve Mom in any way because she's a weenie.
I had a tooth pillow that I had gotten either right before Sam was born or right after, and cannot BELIEVE that it has somehow survived every purge and move, AND I was able to locate it when needed. Truly some divine intervention there. I looked around on Pinterest to see if I was missing any cute (and easy) tooth ideas and saw that there was really nothing I was interested in doing. Mostly because whatever I do now, I will have to do every time someone loses a tooth from here on out. That's 79 more teeth I gotta perform for. No thanks. BAR IS SET LOW. SUPAH LOW. So come Tooth #80 I am not cursing Jenn-excited-over-Tooth-#1.
I know some folks go all out and stuff like, actual green money under their kids' pillows for tooth loss, but I did the math and absolutely not. Multiply by 20, times four, carry the 1, and factor in the inevitable cost of braces we are bound to incur and there is no way this tooth I'm going to toss in the trash is worth more than a quarter. But the first one is worth a little more because I'm not a total monster.
![]() |
| terrible cursive equates to whimsical and fairy-like, yes? |
Then I went to bed and left the tooth sitting on the table directly next to the note. Luckily I was recapping for Steve via text after I got in bed and realized my mistake. I have no intentions of keeping any baby teeth, but when it came time to throw it away, I just couldn't. I blame literally everything these days on my out-of-control hormones, but this tiny little piece of him grew inside of me and now he's big enough to start losing teeth?! That realization coupled with the fact that Steve was missing yet another first and I just stuck it in the top dresser drawer. "So Steve can see it." Steve can throw it away after he marvels over its tiny size and weird shape and hopefully by that time I will be well over the fact that my baby is growing up a bit. (Yeah right, but a girl can dream!)




Love how you set him up for future lower paying teeth. Ha! I remember one time my cousin and I were in my uncle's work room, and we found a medicine bottle with all her baby teeth in it. We were both totally shocked because until then we thought the Tooth Fairy flew away with them, and also a little grossed out!
ReplyDeleteLOVE IT!! Since we're in Germany Mara gets a one Euro coin(a two for her first tooth) but they are quarter sized too! What a great idea! And glad for you that Sam's tooth set the bar so extremely... happy! ;)
ReplyDeleteIf you want to get fancy or wild, you could give them a 50 cent piece. It's less money, but it's bigger and unique.
ReplyDeleteOh how fun for Sam. I cannot stand wiggly teeth either. Even as a kid it made my stomach flip to watch others play with their teeth. Ugh! Lucas LOVES to show me his wiggly teeth and laughs when I turn away. Good job on finding the pillow.
ReplyDelete