Christmas is almost over for these two hooligans. They received some fleecy bathrobes in the mail from Steve's mom the other day. Molly was over the moon. Sam played it cool but loves to wear the robe to bed.
Part of me thinks we need a griddle so I can cook more than one pancake at a time (and not stand over the stove for an hour and a half) and the other part of me is like, my winter body is doing really well, fluffy enough, thanks.
This feels way too real. I don't feel it as much here (since many folks have commented on how we are "dressed like it's freezing out" when in reality is it NEGATIVE TEN DEGREES), but I felt the judgey eyes in NY. It would be 49* and folks had their kids dressed like a snowpocalypse was upon us. I hate getting them dressed in full on winter wear just to run seven feet to the car and take it all off again so they can buckle up. Repeat in reverse when we arrive somewhere. As Steve would say, these are some hashtag momprobs. Ha.
Now let's move onto a prob that was more of a STEVE PROB.
IS VERY BAD, RIGHT?! Horrific even. Steve and Sam went to the local salon in town (because there is no barber shop). And when he first got back, I didn't even notice anything to be completely honest. I guess I just assume he gets the same haircut every time like he has the entire time we've been together so what is there to see. But later that evening, as I was supervising the painting (heh) I was staring at him and suddenly noticed that there was a massive weird patch missing in the back!! And turn to the side- omg. Turn to the other side- OH MY GOSH it is like she did not even have her eyes open while this haircut was taking place!!! It was at this point that Steve mentioned her hair was purple (as in, she is so old that her hair isn't even blue anymore). We were supposed to go to mass the next morning but I had to put the kibosh on that plan because there was no way we could present ourselves this way for the first time in such a small town. That probably sounds vain, and it really is, but LOOK AT HIS HAIR. We are already being talked about around here. I don't wanna add more fuel to the fire. ("Crazy New Yorkers and their weirdo haircuts!")
![]() |
| In happier news, bye bye yellow! |
Luckily for us, Rick is something of a master barber and fixed Steve up the next day while we were over visiting.
The next day was Monday and both big kids were in school for the day. Willie and I stayed home all day and it was so fun to just hang out with him. I do not think I fully appreciated Sam's baby days when I look at them next to Will's. I had no idea how fast it would go or how precious our time alone was. I guess having a comparison is nice as far as knowing that I should be savoring every chance of alone time I get with him! He is not a snuggly baby at all, so when he curled up on my chest, I vowed to sit there in that uncomfortable position without moving a muscle for as long as the snuggle would last (approximately 48 seconds).
We got a lot of stuff done around the house and just did everything at our own pace, which was nice.
I got a call that afternoon at 3:05 from the school secretary asking if I was picking Molly up and forgot to send a note. Seeing as I pick them up at the bus stop at 3:25 (and the school is 15 minutes away) (and I was still in my pajamas...), I said nooooo..... But I remembered that Molly does not like riding the bus. The first day she rode it was her first day of school here. We didn't anticipate they'd be able to ride it home that afternoon so we didn't prep them for that. But the school insisted they ride home and I guess I figured what better time to jump in with both feet. They gotta do it sometime. But Molly got on and did not see Sam and Sam did not see Molly and some boy called Molly a baby and asked where her brother was, and by the time she got off the bus, she was about to burst into tears (which, she did once she got home). Naturally, I was ready to fulfill the stereotype that we are New Yorkers (lololol we are not) and MAKE THIS KID PAY for making my sweet Molly cry on her first day at a new school, but I decided against that. I asked the secretary on the phone if she could please make sure that Sam and Molly got on the bus together because her first ride was slightly traumatic and she happily agreed. Her bus experiences since have been very fun for her and lots of the older girls want to sit with her and touch her hair and talk to her, so I think she has overcome the initial bad bus ride.
Since she only goes to school on Mondays and Wednesdays, we tend to adopt a slower pace for Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. (I am seriously jealous of her life. I want to be 4.) Today is Thursday and it is a little after 9am and she is still sleeping. I am pounding coffee and kinda green with envy after Will decided to wake up a little before 5 for no reason, not gonna lie.
Yesterday I made this coffee cake to take over to Monica's house and not only was it quick and easy, but it was amazing. Not particularly pretty in my old 9x13 stained up pyrex dish, but I think I'm going to try making it in a bundt pan next time and see if it bakes ok in there. While baking it I realized that I probably need to find a hobby or something. If not I am probably on track to gaining about 600lbs. We just bought two 10lb bags of flour at Costco though so I guess I feel the need to make some stuff. My winter body is fully winterized at this point though so gaining another 600lbs is probably not in my best interest.
Speaking of hobbies, it has always been a pastime of mine to browse the local craigslist of wherever we live. It is no secret that the majority of our furniture has come from craigslist as I see almost no point in buying something brand new when there is something a bit more unique (and cheap!) on craigslist. Sure, you sometimes take your life in your hands when meeting a shady person, but when you walk away with your life AND a bedframe for $15, you usually forget about the losing your life part of the equation. Well I've gotta say that the craigslist here is THE most boring one I have ever encountered. To summarize: farm equipment, snow plow, snowmobile, old refrigerator, old washing machine, old beat up car, snow plow, hay, more farm equipment, snowmobile, $400 wedding dress (either a size 14 or a size 0.5- there is no in between if you're looking for wedding dresses on craigslist FYI), fishing huts, and Peter, who clearly won in my eyes last night.
He might be socially awkward, but I am willing to bet he's delicious. His new companion could be scrambled eggs? (Sorry not sorry, I love bacon.)













Haha the so I don't get judged thing is so true!
ReplyDeleteOh that's horrible. Kids can be mean today. I hope she has an easy adjustment here on out.
ReplyDeleteThe electric griddle was one of the best kitchen gadgets we have. Pancakes are the obvious but we also make things like grilled sandwiches, cheese steaks, and things like that. It helps with bulk cooking.
Oh my gosh, that haircut. I do not blame you at all for skipping Mass. There's nothing like getting judged on your way back from Communion.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad Molly is adjusting to the bus!!
Hhahahahaha!!! I love your comment about the pig. I love bacon too!
ReplyDeleteOh that haircut! I would have not gone to church as well.
I'm sorry Molly's first bus ride home was not a great one. I'm afraid that might happen to Lizzie once she starts Kindergarten. I hope not, but you just never know.
We have a griddle and to be honest, I cannot seem to make pancakes without it. They never turn out right.