- Friday was a rainy morning, so we packed a lunch and hauled it down to a sketchy neighborhood in Brooklyn to go to the children's museum. We were there as it was opening, which I thought was terrific planning on my part, but apparently it's not these NYC moms' first rodeo either and I was in bountiful company. The guy at the ticket counter surveyed us and told us our total- $33. I reached into my wallet and then asked if they offered a military discount (hardly anyone does but it never hurts to ask) and to my surprise he said yes! I handed him my ID and credit card and he handed me my credit card back, saying that my ID would cover it. I wanted to let him know that you can't charge anything to my ID, but I thought I'd just let him figure that one out on his own. Cue my shock and awe when he handed me my ID back and said we were free! Wow! Many thanks and a map in hand, we were on our way to the toddler play area (at his suggestion).
- TIME TO MOVE ON, you are clearly not toddlers anymore.
- If it involves sand, my children want to be in it.
- Sam was absolutely taken with all the manual pencil sharpeners around this place. He couldn't get enough.
- Molly loves all things mommy and baby, so when she saw this book lying in a reading corner, she just couldn't help herself. We all stood and waited while she flipped through the book.
- And it just wouldn't be a fun family outing without someone's bladder being on the verge of bursting, so we stopped at a nice family bathroom and touched everything in there.
- Upstairs was a room full of Magna Tiles and wooden magnetic blocks and these foam things strewn all about. They would have stayed in here all day if I'd let them. Unfortunately, Will was hungry, I was hungry, and the clock was ticking. We saw one more exhibit and then busted on outta there. Overall, I cannot recommend visiting this place. I do believe I am forever spoiled by everything we saw in Korea and thus, the standard has been set. This place was pretty dirty, it was more museum (think things behind glass cases) than children's museum (which I imagine to be more touchable and interactive), there were no employees around to put things back in their place after kids tore through an interactive exhibit (and the parents could not be bothered to clean up after their children either), and overall it was just kinda meh. Which I blame on Korea mostly. But for free? Not too shabby. Killed a morning we would have otherwise spent cooped up at home going nuts together. And so far *knock on wood* no one has come down with any terrible communicable diseases! We also got to see a Brooklyn neighborhood that I am POSITIVE we never would have ventured into otherwise, so broadening our horizons and exploration and all that jazz.
- By the afternoon the weather had turned and was getting HOT. Which meant our apartment was slowly turning into a little oven, so we skedaddled over to a playground to release the hounds. Steve got off work and met us over there and it was very nice to watch the energy fly out of those children.
- When I put Will to bed, I sometimes just look him over and cannot believe this perfect little bundle of boy is mine. Look at those knuckle dimples!!! I just want to eat him right up.
- The eyelashes, the tiny curls, the lips, the cheeks- He makes me want ten more when he's sleeping. (extra emphasis on those last three words) (although don't be fooled- he is one sweet baby doll when he's awake too)
- Saturday morning we set out to do a trial run of some activities that we want to do while my parents are visiting. They will be here in a few weeks and I like to know what to expect before I take someone from out of town out and about. First stop- Peter Pan Donuts.
- We'll take one of everything please.
- I got a marble cruller and it was DELICIOUS. Sam got his usual- chockwett, and Molly got her usual- gwazed. Steve got a lemon filled donut and said it was amazing. It was gone before I ever got a picture, so I'll have to take his word on that.
- Our next stop was Pier 6 in Brooklyn to board the ferry that would take us to Governor's Island. There was a parking garage (that we will use when my parents are here) but it was $24 for up to 8 hours. We knew (based on heat and humidity alone) that we would not last that long, so Steve found us some street parking. The only problem was that there was a two hour limit, so we paid our meter, hustled on down to the docks, stood in a nice long line of people who also wanted to get on board that first ferry boat (free!), and sweated our guts out. We got off the boat and speed-walked straight to our most anticipated destination.
- FINALLY SAW LADY LIBERTY!!!!
- And everyone shift to the left and smile again please. There are no cars on Governor's Island, but a ton of stuff to do, especially for kids. Great views of the Manhattan skyline and the Statue of Liberty.
- When we were there the ferries were leaving every hour, so after walking to this point, hiking some of the hills, a potty break, and doing the slides, it was almost noon. Our parking meter expired at 12:22. We didn't want to risk a ticket, so we quite literally ran back to the boat. Sam on Steve's shoulders, Will passed out in a puddle of sweat in the stroller, Molly crammed in underneath, me pushing the stroller and jogging in sandals while sweating profusely. Oh we were a sight. But we made the ferry. The last ones on.
- We made it back to our car by 12:17, blasted the AC, sanitized everyone's hands, passed out lunches, and got back on the road. Our entire morning of donuts and sightseeing cost us $8.40. We will spring for the parking garage when my parents are here so we can stay on the island longer, but I thought it was a great trial run. The hustle everyone showed was just outstanding.
- It also made some sweet car naps possible, which is always a huge plus in my book.
- Sunday morning mass
- After church, we headed home to change. It was forecast to be rainy all afternoon. We knew we had to get out, so I suggested we take a drive. We ended up finding the street that appears on Seinfeld when they film at the Costanza's house. (Steve and I LOVE watching Seinfeld.)
- Their house is the one on the left!
- After finding our daily bit of Seinfeld history, we went into Manhattan for some ice cream. We ended up at Emack & Bolio's. I will be the first freak to admit that I'm not much of an ice cream person. I eat it maybe once a year. Otherwise I'd rather just have cake or a brownie or something with some actual SUBSTANCE. But after seeing pictures of the ice cream this place serves, I got my annual ice cream craving. And if you're only going to eat ice cream once, I feel like it may as well be good ice cream.
- And WHOA MAMA IT WAS GOOD.
- One scoop of chocolate addiction in a Reeses puff cone. (Molly got strawberry with rainbow sprinkles, Sam got cookie monster with chocolate sprinkles, and Steve got espresso, no sprinkles. He also got everyone's leftovers (not mine!) so he ended up with plenty of sprinkles, don't worry.)
- The cone eventually gave way and I had to go get a cup to finish it. Absolutely amazing!
- The rain let up and we got to play in some puddles.
- The afternoon drug on (and on. and on. and on.) and eventually we just gave in and got everyone ready for bed really early. Will's ruined nap schedule meant that he was trying to fall asleep for the night at 5pm, so we did everything possible to keep him awake until at least 6:30. I think he gave in to sleep at 6:45. Sam and Molly were in bed by 7:30 as well. Steve and I watched Seinfeld (what else?) until 9 and then everyone here was sawing logs. Until Will decided to get up at 10:30. And 3:00. And 5:30. And zzzzzzzzzzzz........


































Oh my word, that ice cream looks AMAZING!!! I've gotten into the super healthy habit of having a bowl before bed every night like I'm 9 again. I keep telling myself it's okay because it's Turkey Hill "natural," so practically diet food! :) Glad you had a fun weekend!
ReplyDelete... "but I thought it was a great trial run. The hustle everyone showed was just outstanding."
ReplyDeleteI'm glad I'm home alone at the moment, because I laughed like a psycho.
What a fun place!!!
ReplyDeleteSeriously though... you make every place you ever live look so so exciting. I don't know how I'd ever be able to live in NYC. But your pictures make it look possible. And fun even! Maybe it's just you all. Scratch that. It IS just you all. I am sure of it.
ReplyDelete