10.20.2015

  • Always nice to start off a post with a cute picture of smiling children. I'm sure they were allowed to watch TV after taking this picture, hence the smiles. Because no one smiles too much about going to bed. Still working on educating these two about how awesome sleep is and how taking it for granted and then whining because you're tired is one of the quickest ways to drive me to seeing red.
  •  First shipment from Korea! While floors were being installed in the kitchen.
  • Hard to see, but our neighbors across the street have a baby swing attached to a huge limb on a tree in their front yard. Sam said he wasn't going to sit in that "baby swing" because you know, he's so big and mature and so NOT a baby (*sob*), but once he saw how high Myer was going, he was begging for a ride. We are lucky in that our new neighbors are very friendly and always around and ready to play. Sometimes that makes getting work on the house a bit slower than we'd like, but the kids are really enjoying playing with their new friends. 
  • Here's the bumpdate! I have no clue how far along I am exactly, although I do know with 90% certainty that we've entered the third trimester. I drank some red drank at the OB's office a couple weeks ago and no one has informed me of a raging case of GD, so I feel like I'm all set for eating Halloween candy in the clear. Heartbeat sounds good, I have zero real symptoms of being pregnant, besides that whole tasting acid thing at night, and as my grandmother-in-law so eloquently told me the other day, I sure am getting big! So there's that. 
  • Our washer and dryer made it down to the dungeon basement and were plugged in and THEY WORK. Amen and hallelujah! I was a little worried after having let them sit in storage for two years, but they have since been put to work washing everything that somehow didn't get packed into plastic bags before being chucked into boxes and shipped across the world.
  • In other exciting news, I finally (FINALLY) got it together enough to go to the DMV (aka the seventh circle of hell) and get myself a Pennsylvania driver's license. My Alabama license expired shortly after we arrived in Korea and I didn't need it there anyway since I had a Korean license, but apparently AL requires you to update your license no matter where in the world you are, so this ahem, RULE FOLLOWER CLERK at the DMV was busting out manuals and reading us what PA says about expired outsider's drivers' licenses ("We don't take too kindly to that 'round here."). Luckily, Army Steve kicked into gear and asked for the publication date to the manual she was reading from. Startled, she fumbled around until she found the date. August 2013. Steve said it was clearly outdated and requested she do more research. Up until that point, her attitude could only be described as "incredibly bitchy" but once Steve asked that one question, she did a complete 180. Suddenly she was very pro-military, pro-family, pro-getting-me-a-license. I liked this new lady. Sadly, the system still showed that AL was saying my license was invalid because apparently there is no slack to be cut for overseas military in that state. (Note to self: write that letter to that congressman about changing that.) Fortunately, someone at the Alabama DMV told her my license was, in fact, valid, and then the newly-helpful clerk did a little paperwork and voila! License. (Note to everyone else: Do not assume that you are allowed to have an expired license due to your spouse's active military status and check your state's laws and regulations regarding this matter so you don't have to bust out your syrupy southern accent to try and persuade the rule followers of the DMV to give you a new license.)
  • One day Sam rode his bike into a bush and apparently we both thought this was funny enough to take a picture of before I helped him out. (And this is why I must blog more frequently. Because memory.)
  •  Molly is obsessed with talking on my MIL's house phone. Once we see who is calling on the caller ID, we will sometimes let the kids answer. Sam usually answers a telemarketer and says, "Daddy? Is that you? Where are you?" And I'm sure that freaks the telemarketers out enough that they sign us up to be put on the Do Not Call List.
  • Molly was chatting my mom up on the phone on this particular night. You would have thought it was a daily activity for her watching her casually talk, laugh, sip her water, eat a cracker, use her hands to explain a story, etc.

  • I will eventually do an entire post on our home renovations, but this room was (at the time) the most completed, and thus, the only "safe" room for the kids to hang out in. We cracked open a tub of toys and the silence that was brought on by them rediscovering things that they've played with a hundred times was magical.
  • Girlfriend is fabulous and I don't even know where she gets it from because most days I struggle to wear pants with an actual waistband and remember to put on mascara.
  • In between the hustle of preschool and home reno and boxes and kitchen install, Sam had the nerve to go and turn five. Five! When we would ask him what he wanted for his birthday, he only asked for three things:
    • Chocolate cake (WIF CHOCKWETT FWOSTIN)
    • Banoons (And one banoon wif a string so I can hold it wif my hand)
    • Pretty flowers to smell (I think he remembers that we gave my MIL flowers for her birthday and that is just a birthday custom. Obvs.
  • We tried to fulfill his wishes since they were pretty basic. I really want my kids to understand that the world does not revolve around them, but I never want them to forget that they are the center of my universe and I want them to feel super special on their birthdays.


I'm sure my in-laws are super pumped that we are not only still here, but filling their house with balloons and more babies and pugs and and and....

  • Everything except the flowers was bought either at the Dollar Tree or on clearance (because re: redoing kitchen and on a strict budget). I told Steve that we can also say the flowers are for me since I did do something like, 100% of the work on that day 5 years ago. (hehe, wink, wink) Sam's reaction to all of this was so precious and priceless. I would stay up late blowing up "banoons" a hundred times over just to see his face light up like that again. He said thank you no fewer than ten times and really thought he was on Cloud Nine later that evening when family came over and gave him PRESENTS. WHOA.
Smelling those beautiful flowers

Birthday waffle stack

Before mass

Picnic lunch- picnics are one of his favorite things so we HAD to take advantage of the beautiful weather on his birthday and have lunch outdoors.

  • After lunch, we drove over to a local park and attended a fall festival. The kids had a blast and burned a TON of energy.









  • Possibly their favorite part of the festival was this massive hill, which wasn't part of the festival at all. They ran up and down, rolled around, danced on top to the music, and had races against each other. 

  • There were also crates and crates of free pumpkins for the kids to pick out and decorate. Sam did a few simple strokes and called his masterpiece complete. Molly apparently thought the goal was to cover the entire thing in paint and spent quite some time perfecting her gourd. Both are uniquely beautiful and are proudly displayed at home. 
Little man on a big hill
  • We couldn't bring ourselves to go home or inside after being out in such beautiful weather, so we drove to another park nearby.
Don't let this peaceful scene deceive you- Molly was on the verge of a pretty epic meltdown. (To be fair, it had been a very busy day with no time to rest!)
 
MUSCLE MAN SAM

Inside this park are homes from the original settlement (uhhhh I forget the dates, but very very long ago....) and people still live there and I'm sure they just LOVE having sassy toddlers throw fits outside their front door.

Deep thoughts. All I could think about was how I wanted to hang a hammock right there and listen to that waterfall forever.
  • After coming home and letting Molly nap in the car, Sam and I got to work making the frosting for his cake. (Cake was made after birthday waffles that morning.) He is one of my many quality control experts and I take his opinion very seriously.
  • And the finished product:
Ta-da!


Steve took to the Hot Wheels cars with a hammer to let out some frustration complete the look for the cake.

Presents?! Best day ever!!

Cake with fire?! No way, it just keeps getting better!!!

Bucket of cheese balls?!?! Stick a fork in me, I'm done.
  • He had such a great day and that made us so happy. I hope he can always find joy in the little things and never forgets how much we love him.
  • The next day was (unfortunately) right back to work. We got our household goods shipment delivered! 
  • I couldn't even be there to coordinate where the boxes went because I had to photograph the Fire Safety Day at the kids' preschool. So when I came home, this is why our tiny living room looked like this.
  • MEN, OHMYGOSH, RIGHT??? In case this picture gives you the same anxiety it gives me, please know that this room is completely cleared out and the only thing left inside is the furniture that belongs there. The floors have been vacuumed and mopped and every other surface has been wiped down with disinfectant. Let's all take a deep breath and try to forget the above image........ 
Found our Korea countdown chain

Made more cake and frosting for Sam's birthday party at preschool (can you tell which cupcake he decorated unassisted? Talk about anxiety.)

Odie really tries to blend into the couch as much as she can and avoid her new reality of over-excited children and their unending energy.

  •  Finally took Sam to get a haircut. As the guy was doing his thing, I realized that this is the first haircut he's had that wasn't done by a Korean (or me). The key to keeping him calm is letting him watch monster truck videos on the phone. Easy enough.
Goofy
  • Saturday morning was a beautiful one, so we went back to the state park that Molly melted down in the previous weekend and tried again. This time, with a stroller. And Odie.
  • I texted my mom and said that I wasn't sure if Odie was terrified or really excited. She had pooped in my in-laws' bathroom the night before (and my FIL stepped in it at 4am!!), and we just so happened to be going in the direction of the vet's office, so I'm sure she saw her little sleepy life flash before her eyes. She seemed noticeably relieved when we arrived at the park and realized we were just taking her for a walk.

She had just gotten flea meds on her back, so a cute bandanna seemed like just the thing to keep the kids' hands off of it and make her look so seasonally stylish.
  • State park had us like, whoa.





Cannot go anywhere without her fancy gold purse

So majestic


  • Next time I want to take my real camera and snap some shots there. Hang on, leaves!!
  • If I'm being honest, I'd have to let you know that I am pretty unimpressed with pro football overall, but when my MIL got the kids these shirts, I knew they had to wear them for game day. And wonder of wonders, the Eagles actually won! So now they'll probably need to wear them every game day because pro football requires lucky charms and millions of dollars and grown men dancing around like fools after being paid to win a "game." But let's not get into my personal feelings on pro football, ok? Just quit asking me, please.
  • After dropping the kids off at preschool, Steve and I skedaddled over to our house to make the most of our kid-free time, and decided that our time would be most well spent by re-enacting something from the Beverly Hillbillies and driving onto my in-laws' front lawn with a box spring strapped to the top of our car. We then demonstrated how heavy it was by repeatedly bashing it into the hallway, gouging out part of the hallway ceiling, and finally, by shoving it into a plastic protector and then dropping it on Steve's arm. We are so professional.
  • It's so beautiful during the golden hour and it's causing me physical pain to not be out and photographing SOMETHING in it.
  •  Marci is so over this shit. "WHEN ARE YOU GUYS MOVING INTO YOUR OWN HOUSE??"

5 comments :

  1. I love your kids.

    The park photos are bomb.

    Marci with the purse is the cherry on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always post the best pictures, they make me smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much going on! And yay for a bump pic. That scenery is beautiful, just can't beat fall in the midwest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molly is so stinking cute on the phone! Oh what you have to look forward to when she's a teenager. :) Beautiful park! You guys have sure been keeping busy! Whew! Holy cow! How is Sam 5 already?!?! I swear he just turned 3! I love how excited he was. That is one thing I told Matt is that no matter what our kids birthdays will always be special and I will always make a big deal out of them. Thankfully he agrees and lets me do my thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Y'all always look like you have so much fun! Happy Birthday, Sam!!

    ReplyDelete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs