Call me crazy, but getting good deals makes for a grrrrrreat weekend around here

5.20.2012

We don't tend to have very exciting weekends. Unlike Kate, whose weekends consist of wineries and beaches and date nights to fun places, all while dressed with impeccable style. And while this weekend STILL does not rival wineries and beaches and date nights, it was, by our low standards, exciting. (Y'all know I was wearing my yoga pants the whole time, right?)

Friday afternoon was my Christmas. I found a piano on craigslist, got the price down to where I wanted it (aka super, ridiculously cheap), and arranged to pick it up. This.... was no easy task. It's not like we could just lift it over our heads and stick it in the back of Steve's truck. So we rented a small U-Haul truck with a ramp (and a dolly- that bit of genius (or is that better classified as "common sense"?) was all me) so that we (and by "we" I obviously mean "the men") could lift it onto the dolly and roll it up into the truck. And it went quite smoothly. Until we got home and realized that all of our big, strong neighbor-men weren't home to help us unload it. I HAD FUDGE INCENTIVES AND EVERYTHING. Rats. As I was attempting to help Steve lift up one end (oh AHAHAHAHA it only weighs 9,000 lbs), our attached neighbors pulled up and asked if we were moving. With that tiny little truck. Yes, we're going to move one room at a time. (Funny side story: One of our neighbors moved everything out of his entire house with his MINIVAN. It took him WEEKS, but I'm assuming he was just taking everything to a storage unit somewhere. I thought it was comical to watch him load that thing down. He even pulled up the pavers in his backyard and loaded each individual brick in there.) So luckily our neighbor helped Steve get it inside. It needs a good tuning, but is otherwise in pretty decent shape. The folks we bought it from are Army as well, and it's been moved around quite a bit, so it's showing some wear on the wood. Not that I mind. (You've all seen my house! I like beat up, secondhand things!)


But since I got it so cheap, I'm thinking about doing this to it.



I know at least half of you (probably more) are like, "GACK! Don't paint a piano! That's so TACKY!" But please refer back to my house tour- there are approximately 9 kajillion pieces of furniture that we own now that are wooden. It's just SO MUCH WOOD. And wood is not very bright. Besides a love of solid wood furniture, I hope the other takeaway from my house tour was that I like bright colors. So this makes sense to me. And if it gets beat up post-paint-job (during a move or by an unruly child), I can either touch it up or leave it alone and call it "shabby chic." All of that to say, you're probably not gonna talk me out of this one.

Back to the story here though. Since all of the picking up and moving and dropping off and returning took us right up to 8:30pm, we came straight home and threw Sam in bed (gently, of course), fed Molly again, and ate dinner before crashing into bed ourselves. To say that I was feeling like a kid on Christmas morning the next day would be an understatement. It felt SO GOOD to play again. And I'm so thankful to Steve for giving up his Friday night to do all of that for me. Now as his repayment, I need to learn "Eye of the Tiger." Anyone know where I can find the sheet music for that?

*****

Saturday morning, Steve left EARLY (like, crack o' dawn early) to head down to Auburn. He went there to buy the truck of his dreams. (Why drive to Auburn when you could buy it here in town, you ask? A $10k price difference and a fair trade-in value, that's why.)

This means that he had to part with his trusty Colorado. He's had that truck since I first met him; he used to drive me to class and on dates and to the park and he hid my engagement ring from me under the back seat. So I was a little sad to see it go. (I mean, not so sad that I shed a tear or anything, but sentimental value, right? Unfortunately that does not outweigh real-world dollar value.) His old truck was still running fine but it had this "back seat" made for people with no kneecaps. So TINY. There was no way we were fitting any carseats back there. (And that, my friends, is when you know when the times are a-changin'- when you buy a vehicle based on how the carseats will fit inside. <SIGH>)
Let's have a quick photo recap of some fun times with the Colorado.

The Great Auburn Blizzard of 2008. We had just started dating. And yes, we both lived in trailer parks during college. Laugh it up.

After we got married, we upgraded to a "reel niiice" trailer park. I swear, it really was nice. All college kids, all newer trailers. It was nice. Honest. I bet everyone who lives in a trailer park tells you it's a "reel niiice" trailer park and you probably don't believe me. Just trust me though, it ranks among the classier trailer parks you've seen.

Getting ready to head home after a trip to the park. It was actually another trailer park down the road. Probably the NICEST trailer park in the history of trailer parks. We couldn't afford to live there. But we drove there like we were high-falutin' folks and let our dogs swim in their ponds and run around their fields. My classy points are headed down the toilet, aren't they? Wait, did I even have any after I mentioned the first trailer park?

While I have no photographic evidence of it, the Colorado did make the trip to VA (where we REALLY upgraded to an apartment), then to PA (to transfer all of our belongings to a different truck), then down to TN (where we lived in our first real, attached-to-the-ground-but-only-by-cinderblocks house). We thought this was our last move for a few years...

... but then we moved on-post (to a house that is TRULY attached to the ground. And two stories. We just keep upgrading it seems. WHERE WILL WE MOVE NEXT?! A damn mansion is on the horizon apparently).

This is the last picture of Steve with his truck. It's the end of the road for the Colorado (literally! pun intended!).

He got home around nine last night, so I didn't see it. I wanted to see it in broad daylight, in all of its brand new shiny glory. (Plus I had seen pictures of it and a truck is a truck is a truck in my book.) BUT. I gotta admit that it's pretty amazing. First of all, the air conditioning is awesome. That checked off the major must-have in my book. The back seat could easily fit 3 sumo wrestlers and their respective Big Gulps, while I still have leg room up front! Heaven! Sam's legs can't even reach the back of my seat! So no more seat-kicking whiplash for Mommy when we do not ride tandem next to an 18-wheeler for the duration of our errands and trips, as per his requests. (I'm fluent in grunts and jibber jabber in case you were wondering.) Steve loves that it's BIG and NEW and rides smoothly and I think trucks do something weird and primal to men. Maybe he feels like he can now slay a giant moose and haul it home and be The Ultimate Provider. I dunno.

"Jenn! You didn't get the whole truck in there. You gotta take another one."

This is acceptable. 

But it serves its purpose for our family and we are grateful to have located such an awesome deal. So as far as the excitement factor for our weekend goes, I guess it was mainly exciting in terms of getting good deals. If you're into paying full price for things, this post probably didn't do much for ya..


21 comments :

  1. I had a party for my $1.75 globe so I can't imagine my reaction to a dirt cheap piano. I love getting good deals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Sounds like you guys had a great weekend! I swear having a truck I think makes the men feel like MEN. M bought a new (new to us) truck when he was home on R&R and we made sure it fit two car seats :) It is funny how your priorities change. :) Glad you had a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's all right for a Ford, I guess ;) seriously though I am rolling at your traielr park commentary. it's realllll fancy up in there. DYING. please let's be besties and gossip and paint pianos and other CL heirlooms that would make normal people feel faint at heart. just a thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new truck! We actually almost bought a mobile home in a nice trailer park. They had sidewalks and everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for the piano! I'm all for painting that sucker, and I too love bright colors! I will keep the whole truck thing to myself since Brian is dying for one. But no. Minivan for us :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what an awesome weekend!! I too LOVE a good deal. I think your piano will look a-MAZ-ing when it is finally painted. Hubby and I have owned many a trailer some "fancy" others not so much. You're post today has certainly got me smiling and remembering some of our own memories. Thanks for sharing! I totally want to join you and Stephanie! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My parents have a free once-ugly but now-painted piano in their living room. When my mom redecorated she even had the piano repainted to match the new color scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. Thanks for the weekend warrior shout out. Larrabee's Rule!

    2. Imagine my high school friends' horror when after my freshman year of college, I told them that I was dating a guy named Aron (already stupid), who was from Gasden, Alabama, and drove a 79 jeep, and lived in a trailer. They didn't buy it when I assured them that it was the 'nice trailer park!' Only in Auburn...

    3. Paint the piano!

    4. I can't wait til our blate in the PNW so I can take you shopping for non-yoga pants. You know you want to. Ill trade my personal shopping skills for wine and humor.

    5. Kev has the same truck! We had to leave it in VA while we were out here because we are cheap and didnt want to ship two cars. He misses it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going to gloss over EVERYTHING else in this post and focus solely on your quotation of "reel niiice" and the fact that I read it in the voice of Cousin Eddie in Christmas Vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm jealous of your beautiful new piano! It looks great in your home :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes definitely paint the piano!

    Men & their trucks... when the time comes to trade Anthony's for my suv we are probably going to have to pry the keys from his hand... the commute doesn't allow him to have a sucky gas mileage truck & I love a truck but hate to drive well park them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I visited various web pages however the audio feature for audio songs existing at this site is actually fabulous.
    My site: crash compensation

    ReplyDelete
  13. good for you for the score on the piano...enjoy!!!
    I learned to drive in a truck..
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your comment about the "nice" trailer parks. I COMPLETELY understand it, and I also agree with your statement about the one you moved to when you got married being nice :). Also, paint the piano! I think it will look great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I say go for it! I love the yellow piano inspiration, and that piano bench is awesome! I wish I had room in my house for a piano... I haven't played in years!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the piano.. although I'm not a piano player.. I can admire a great one.. and I think it would look fabulous painted! It would stand out against your floor for sure.

    Oh and I am JEALOUS of that truck. So purdy! I get to deal with all of this when deployment is over.. so I feel ya.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey there! I saw your comment on Sue's blog for my giveaway. So you deal with eczema and gluten free too?? We might just be twins! :) Would love to get to know you better. Definitely going to follow! I'd love to have you come say hi!

    xo,
    Kristina
    citycorporatetosuburbmama.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. heyyyy.. That's a reallll niiice truck. Ready for our weekend similarities?
    1. We made or first ever craigslist purchase. A reaaal niiice dining room table with 7 chairs and a China cabinet. Those folks gave that to us for 500. Really worth over 2k. Very exiting and paint that dern piano!
    2. My husband had been driving a ford focus for a while now and has been crying daily for a truck. He came home with a f150 and a What Had Happened Was story the other day. And now he is all I am man here me roar.

    ReplyDelete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs