Well quite a LOT has happened around here since my little closet organizing victory. A lot indeed. When I organized that closet last week, Sam was still in his baby carseat.
He is now sitting pretty in this lovely creation:
Yes, that IS called Carrot Cake Orange, and no, I can't think of a more fitting color for a carseat for this tiny person. And no, I didn't dress him in all-orange just for the occasion of First Ride In The New Carseat. I just happen to think he looks adorable in orange. Or any other color he happens to be wearing.
Steve and I finally cursed the stupid thing into place last night while firecrackers were going off all around us like we were in the middle of Vietnam- and the heat! Oh the heat. It was pretty warm. And being warm while you're doing anything even slightly stressful just ups the frustration factor by a ZILLION. Before we knew it we were yelling at each other about WHO had the idea to buy this carseat and WHY can't the stupid carseat makers draw a helpful diagram or word something so that it makes SENSE and WHY are all of these idiots firing off their explosives tonight, don't they know it's only July 1st?!?! GAH. Not fun. Carseat installation is usually not on my radar, but I felt like I needed to see how it was done, in case, you know, one day in the future, I wouldn't look like the biggest idiot EVER when I had to get it out and put it back in myself (I'm thinking future car troubles here- preparing for the worst, hoping for the best).
So now I have a slight clue, as opposed to last night, when I thought the seatbelt actually hooked the thing into place. Oops.
Ok. So the next piece of big news is..... (drumroll).... We will be moving in approximately two weeks.
(Let it sink in)
Details:
Unfortunately for us, we aren't moving anywhere especially exciting, just on post. But what is exciting:
1) FOUR bedrooms!
2) Two and a half bathrooms!
3) A fenced-in backyard that actually connects to a door on the house!!! (BIG deal since the house we're currently in requires you to go out the side door, down the steps, through the gate, and into the backyard. ??? There is NO back door. Ludicrous, right? If you're not convinced of the ridiculousness of this house after hearing that, please see the photo of an air vent in the CLOSET. And yes, all of the closets are like that.)
4) No more commute!
Even though we are relatively "close" to post, with traffic and retarded drivers accounted for, it usually takes about 30 minutes to get from our door to wherever we're going on post. PLUS, if I'm taking Sam to some activity there, I have to remember to pack all the bottles and formula and extra diapers and swim diapers (in case we decide to get in the water), and a stroller, and an extra outfit (for the inevitable poop) and his lunch (and a spoon!) in case we hang out with Megan and it seems like I always forget something. So thank goodness Megan usually has whatever we are missing since she has an 8mo as well. But still. Doesn't that just sound like a hassle? It kind of is. I will be so appreciative to have a house that is close to everything we're doing and everywhere we're going. If we want to pop in and have lunch with Steve? No big deal! I'll just get Sam in the car and we'll go! Be there in 10 minutes! Oh, Sam's asleep? Steve can come home and have lunch with me! It will be AWESOME.
Now, the moving part... not so much. I don't particularly enjoy sifting through everything we own in the middle of summer (especially since I just did it 4ish months ago) and lugging it somewhere else and up stairs. OMG this place has STAIRS. I've never lived in a house with stairs before. Maybe it will help tone some certain problem areas, hm? Or maybe I will break my neck in a moment of klutz. STAY TUNED.
The only downer about this whole experience is that we can't go in and look at this house until move-in day. I've got a floor plan and details and first-hand accounts from people who've been in houses in this neighborhood, but I want to SEE it with my own two eyes and imagine where I'll put the couch and the dogs and the 4,637 baby toys. I was told (by housing), however, that even though I can't go inside, I can peek through the windows to my heart's content. So you probably know where I've been every day since hearing that. Yup. The first day I went, there were maintenance guys there doing work on the house and cleaning. So I politely looked through the windows, but I felt rushed and like I was being stared at like a FREAK for just standing with my face against the window, so I left but knew that I would come back the next day. Wouldn't you know that they are the only maintenance men I've ever heard of that work ALL DAY, EVERY DAY? They even work on Saturdays! I took pictures with my phone, but most of them just show my reflection in the glass, looking REALLY awkward and in need of a good shower, so I only kept a few. The first one is a frontal view of the house.
Yes, it is old. Yes, it is a duplex-ish home. But also, yes, it is free.
And here is a look at the backyard view. Nice, right? I will have to remember to show you our current backyard view. It usually consists of a bunch of nerds playing LAIR in their backyard. Also, a man who should most definitely wear his shirt when he mows his grass.
We are super-excited/worried/thrilled/relieved/happy/anxious.
We'll finally get away from this stinky realty company!
How are we going to move all of our stuff that fast?
Having four bedrooms will be awesome!
How are we ever going to get anything done with Sam (whose naps are shortening in length by the DAY)?
And WHY did I finally open all of my Polish pottery thinking we would be living in this house for three more years?!
<sigh>
It will all work out. That's what Steve keeps telling me. He's usually right, so I will try my best to believe him.
Update on life
7.02.2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)
Well the carseat thing I'm dreading we have had it 2ish months now and I haven't braved putting it in my car...
ReplyDeleteSo excited for you on the move :)
Wow! You are awesome! I still don't know how to put those dang things in!
ReplyDeleteYour son is adorable, how old?
Hope to get through more. I love your writing
style...
That's exciting, I hate moving too! I feel bad that you have to do it so often, I try to limit how many times I do it :) I moved the most when I was in college, since I have graduated, I have stayed put but I feel for you...sounds like you guys are very excited though so GOOD LUCK!
ReplyDelete