1.04.2014

That one time we went to the Korean Disney World

Recently, there was a lady on post selling ridiculously discounted tickets for LotteWorld in Seoul. We snatched up a few and went with some friends a few days after Christmas. Despite not really knowing where it was, we lucked out and found it easily. To say we were overwhelmed would be an understatement.

 via

via

Obviously those pictures are not mine. My pictures are all horrible cell phone photos that I snapped while trying to wrangle coats and a backpack and squirmy little people.

Riding the monorail that ran above the indoor theme park.

LotteWorld is the world's largest indoor theme park, and I think you can see why we were all standing around with our mouths hanging wide open. There was just. so. much. There were plenty of helpful employees that spoke enough English to help us get to where we wanted to go. We arrived as they opened and found the bumper cars. That was one of the main things that Sam wanted to do. Unfortunately he couldn't reach the pedals himself, so I sausaged myself into his car while Steve rode with Molly. Two minutes of pure fun! We went on a few more kiddie rides before the lines started getting a bit outrageous and it was time for lunch.

Tight.

I'm not sure if you're allowed to bring in food or not, but no one checked my bag or said anything when I pulled a picnic out for the kids.

Naturally I positioned us right underneath the train. Entertained long enough to eat something!

We got lost in the Folk Museum section where many signs attempted to explain to us the origins of Hangul and then attempted to make art out of it.



There was also a little trick-eye museum. We wanted to go through more of it, but clearly the kids were not going to cooperate and pose for each photo like the creators intended...

Fail.

We wandered around and realized that the kids were about a foot too short to ride anything worth waiting for. We happened upon a group of bagpipers (Korean, of course) and wondered what this place was. (?) There was also a marching band and dancing characters. There were shops and vendors and restaurants (even a T.G.I. Fridays!) and a few other levels that we never even got to. There was also an outdoor amusement park, but it was kinda chilly that day (you wouldn't have been able to tell by the amount of sweat dripping down my back though!), and we knew the kids wouldn't be tall enough to ride anything there. There was also a giant ice rink with lots of kids practicing ice skating, speed skating, and some form of synchronized skating.

Mesmerized.

We knew the end was near by the time we got in line for the carousel, but Sam insisted that he wanted to do it, and since we were standing in line with friends, it went fairly quickly and the kids were entertained by each other. Once we all got on though, it was a different story...

Fuh-reeking out. And Molly is half-asleep in my lap.

In hindsight, I think they would really enjoy a place like this when they're about 7 (although I'm still glad we went to check it out). They were too overwhelmed (so was I) and honestly, they really get their kicks on a trampoline or in a sand pit right now, so I think we're just gonna stick close to home and hit up our usual kids cafes. Cheaper, easier, and we can always be home by naptime.

Sweet, blessed naptime.



21 comments:

  1. Wow! That place looks amazing! I might be willing to go to Korea for something like that.. LOL Don't worry, you didn't completely scare me away..
    Sam & Molly both look so grown in the pictures of them eating their snack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That place is crazy. And Steve looks a bit too big for the bumper cars. Guess they weren't designed for Americans, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like that place wore them out! I imagine the entire family needed a nap after that adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like so so so much fun. For me at least. Like there is something about an amusement park that offers more than rides. Its just fun. Plus your kids as per the norm... So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does look amazing! We found an exhibit with optical illusion pictures in Okinawa and the kids loved it! They each posed for each and every one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow....I am so jealous. That looks liek so much fun. I hope I get to do random fun stuff like that some day! Your kiddos will thank you one day for all the awesome adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the theme parks in Japan! They're so fun and different. I'm glad you had so much fun with the fam!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that place looks insane! we've thought about going to disney here but i think our trip to universal this summer fulfilled my husband's desire for amusement parks/crowds for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That place is something else! And seriously - best. selfie. EVER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would probably go insane. That's just a lot to deal with indoors. haha

      Delete
  10. Wow that place looks crazy!! And overwhelming! Is it busier there in the winter? And I LOL'd again at the carousel picture, gosh doesn't that just describe life with young ones?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your children get cuter by the minute. Red heads are scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! That place would be overwhelming! Hope everyone had fun though :) Isn't it great when they both fall asleep in the car?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good on yall for getting your kids out and about. J has been off work for two weeks and aside from mandatory family Christmas stuff, we haven't left the house. No joke. #willnotskipnaptime

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet sleeping babies! Looks like fun but overwhelming. Molly in the eye-trick pictures is too funny! She looks like she was participating... kinda ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO AWESOME! but it also looks a little overwhelming haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. We went there when I was in town last. Not only did we almost get lost (at least twice) trying to get there (in addition, Kent tried to use an ATM as a subway card vending machine and couldn't figure out WHY it wasn't working until I finally pionted out that it was an ATM - then got mad b/c I let him look stupid for a good 2 mintues before I told him), but we made the mistake of going on a weekend. HORRIBLE idea, btw.

    I think the favorite ride for us (since we didn't have midgets in tow and could go) was the one where you shoot dragons. We rode it twice and the boys wanted to ride it again (you know, the two 31 year olds I was with).

    We definitely had a blast but MAN did my feet hurt at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to work in an amusement park and that place still looks overwhelming! Looks like the kids enjoyed it though (for the most part).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww Jenn how do you handle the cuteness of your children? They are so adorable, and the face on Molly in the bumper car and the face of Steve on the carousel lol too funny :) Looks like a fun yet busy day out!!

    ReplyDelete