12.29.2013

2013 recap


This year went by lightening-fast, didn't it? Except when it didn't (read: the eleventy billion hour plane rides that shaved no less than three years off my life).

What were your highlights of 2013?

Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
As much as I love a good list, I did not make any resolutions last year. Except to survive, and I have. So check that one off! My resolutions for this year aren't terribly tangible.
  • Be present.
  • Be patient.
  • Be kind.
Probably starting a swear jar though, just in case.

Did anyone close to you give birth?
Kate had the sweet-cheeked and chinned Wells. 

Did anyone close to you die?
My sweet granddaddy passed away soon after we moved to Korea.

What countries did you visit?
California (smile), Japan, Korea

What would you like to have in 2014 that you didn't have in 2013?
time to myself

What dates from 2013 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
Steve's homecoming (for obvious reasons) and our big move overseas (the day I said "so long!" to my sanity)

What was your biggest achievement of this year?
Starting my own photography business in October. I love it. Love love love LOVE IT.

What was your biggest failure?
Not learning any Korean before moving to Korea

What's the best thing you ate?
this meal at Mad For Garlic

What's the best thing you bought?
a 50mm lens

What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Steve coming home from deployment and the thought of not parenting two kids by myself anymore

What do you wish you'd done more of?
I wish I had exercised more, gone to church every Sunday, displayed more patience towards my children, watched House Hunters while I still had the chance

Compared to this time last year, are you: a) richer or poorer? b) happier or sadder? c) thinner or fatter?
a) richer in the best way possible
b) happier- my husband is home with me!
c) thinner, but probably not by much

Did you fall in love in 2013?
Yes. As much as I hated that deployment, it really is an incredible experience to be reunited with your other half and have the chance for butterflies of that magnitude again.

What was your favorite TV program?
The Office (although I never watched it on actual cable)

How did you spend Christmas?
with my family of four and our friends

What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
Steve took me to out for dinner and I turned 27. I think. (Update: That is accurate. I literally just did the math on a calculator because I honestly couldn't remember.)

How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2013?
Is that waistband stretchy? Does that shirt look like it will show snot? Let me wear that.

What kept you sane?
wine, my God-sent friends, coffee, Steve (not necessarily in that order, but maybe sometimes in that order)

Tell me a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
Enjoy YOUR life. I was reading blogs one day and found myself becoming very envious. I wish I lived closer to my family. I wish I looked as great as she does. I wish my kids behaved as well as hers. I wish I lived there. I don't think she appreciates how great her life is.

Then God said (who else could it be, talking to me during the complete silence of a simultaneous nap?!), Maybe you don't appreciate YOUR life enough.

Gulp. And it's true. I don't. I compare. All too often, I look at others' blessings and forget the ones that are staring right at me.
    • my loving husband
    • my healthy kids
    • a roof over my head
    • food in the pantry
    • the opportunity to live overseas
    • supporting family back home
I'm trying my hardest to be more mindful of what I have, and to remember that no one's life is perfect, despite what their highlight reel (facebook/blog/instagram) shows. I love my life and I want to appreciate every single beautiful, hard, amazing, painful, surprising, messy facet of it.


This photo resulted from a failed potty attempt and some good early morning light in Sam's room. Messy and beautiful collide.

********

Now I'm tagging you to answer! Feel free to steal the top picture and tag your friends as well. Answer some/all/make up more/whatever you'd like. 

Rachel at The Ross Family
Kate at Daffodils
Lauren at Above the 45th
Erika at Chambanachik
Trish at Everyday Trish
Sam at Moody Mama
and anyone else who wants to participate! I'd love to tag every blog I read, but this is a one-woman show, and someone just pooped their pants. 

Happy New Year! Hope it's the happiest and healthiest year yet!

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?  - See more at: http://www.shelikespurple.com/shelikespurple/2013/12/200720082009-2010-2011-and-2012-inspired-all-these-years-by-linda-1-what-did-you-do-in-2013-that-youd-never-done-be.html#sthash.AU4am36G.dpuf
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?  - See more at: http://www.shelikespurple.com/shelikespurple/2013/12/200720082009-2010-2011-and-2012-inspired-all-these-years-by-linda-1-what-did-you-do-in-2013-that-youd-never-done-be.html#sthash.AU4am36G.dpuf

20 comments:

  1. Such a great post... And I plan to work on one very soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading over all your posts from this year just makes me want to hug you even more now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! What a good year 2013 was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally think meeting internet friends is the BEST, but I'm possibly biased. I can firmly say that almost every person I am friends with now (at Lewis), I met via the internet (Thank you, Facebook groups!), and they are absolutely some of the best friends EVER. One of them is even following us to our next station (Riley), because well, I'm awesome? :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!! You guys had quite the year, huh?! Thanks for the tag, I'm going to do mine today!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How have we never discussed The Office? Michael Scott is the bomb dot com. The show wasn't the same after he left. Jim is the other bomb dot comb for different reasons. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a good post! Cheers to a happy and healthy 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a good post! Cheers to a happy and healthy 2014!}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, I love this. And that little butt!!! I need to pinch it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was fun rereading theblate recaps. Let's do it again! Especially since I can actually have wine this time. You have had a crazy year. Cheers to 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post. 2013 was definitely the year for y'all. I hope 2014 is everything you want and more. P.S. Have I mentioned lately how much I love your way of looking at things? It amazes me.. makes me laugh.. and helps me look at my life differently!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I SO miss reading your blog...

    Happy almost New Year's Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  13. such a busy year! sending good vibes for 2014. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was fantastic! And that bum... oh baby bums just make me giggle. Every. Single. Time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy New Year! 2013 was certainly very busy for you. I'm looking forward to hearing all about your families adventures for 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your recap! But it does make me sad that I wasn't reading your blog when you came out here for the blate. You were literally two blocks down the street from me! And that hiney - bare booties are seriously the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woot for first 5ks and in the snow! It was a great year for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh man...that is a valuable lesson. Unfortunately, I have to remind myself that every couple of months. I have a great life- no need to compare. Thanks for the words of wisdom, Jenn. Happy New Year! P.S. Your Christmas card was by far my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this post Jenn, I love your humour and that picture of Molly is so adorable!! My life is absolutely messy and disorganised too, my highlight reel is boring because I don't have the time nor imagination to make anything up lol
    I hope 2014 is another awesome year for you guys, just as eventful and just as exciting ;) Can't wait to see what is in store for you xoxo

    ReplyDelete